Menu
webbm00
Tuning in
Message 21 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email delay

Same issue for me

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data: 421 4.2.0 MXIN613 Greylisting wait period active. Please retry later. 

My domain forwarder is sending all incoming mail to gmail without error but when it sends the same emails to Virginmedia it gets a greylist error. Loosing many emails at present

started 5th March 9am

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GarrySaxon
Joining in
Message 22 of 34
Flag for a moderator

This now apears to be resolved for me from 2 seprat customers  from around 2pm 06/03/19

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Dialled in
Message 23 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The initial e-mail confirming my cinema seats, sent early Monday, has just arrived at 1440 on Wednesday. First class mail would be faster, if more expensive.

0 Kudos
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 24 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: Incoming email not being delivered

My blocked messages seem to have started to trickle through a few hours ago. I think they have now all arrived, though I can't remember how many times I tried.

0 Kudos
bradsweb
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 34
Flag for a moderator

All seems OK now, I’ve just received 24 emails, all sent to me over the past 48 hours or so. I know that greylisting is a means of preventing spam, but it would be nice to know from VM why this suddenly happened to so many of us customers, what they did to resolve it, and some reassurance that it’s not going to be a regular occurrence.

0 Kudos
ahrbee
Dialled in
Message 26 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I just looked at Service Status in my area and it says: Webmail delivery failures/delays from external sources. Were sorry about this, our engineers are looking at fixing this as soon as possible. It suggests the issue may be solved by tonight but maybe they have done it early. The problem of this communication is that I didn't know I had this issue until after it was solved! 

PS: I assume they mean 'we're sorry' rather than 'were sorry', implying maybe 'OK, we were sorry for a while but sorry timed out - now, who cares! We're down the pub!'

cunnith
Dialled in
Message 27 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I had a Service Status about webmail earlier today but it now says everything is working.  But five emails sent to me over the last three days have not yet arrived in my inbox.  Will they arrive or have they been lost for ever?

Tom

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 28 of 34
Flag for a moderator

That depends on the delays and how the servers are configured.

Typically if a server receives a 4xx error code it will retry the mail at intervals up until a retry time limit which is configured by the server administrator.

Once that limit is reached then the sender will get a bounce message reporting the delivery failure.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
aaaashy
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 34
Flag for a moderator

i have just spent nearly TWO HOURS on the phone trying to get this info to the relevant department at VM only for the "customer support" to be totally unhelpful >>> the call was cut "short" on 3 separate occasions

basically last night i received a Mail Delivery System email from <Mailer-Daemon@shcp04.hosting.zen.net.uk> informing men that an email could not be sent from an email on my account with therm to a VM/blueyonder.co.uk email address stating the issue was .....    Domain xxxxxxx has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.

not understanding this i immediately called up zen and asked them what it meant and was informed that it appeared that VM, in its desire to stop spam email generally, had decided to activate GREY LISTING (where they suspect emails are spam and so prevent them getting to their destination, and assume that the second, third and fourth attempt will work, so no problem)

trouble is this email did not get through, nor did ANY from my own blueyonder.co.uk email address .... and have not in the following 24 hours

trying to report this to someone in authority who will actually understand what it is i am trying to do has (as expected) not achieved anything other than make my blood boil and the impossibility of speaking to someone who can deal with this

here is the latest Mail Delivery System email:- "The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

------@blueyonder.co.uk
   host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.58.11]
   Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
   421 4.2.0 MXIN610 Greylisted. Please retry later. https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-send-bulk-emails ;id=1Ya4h8DduVeUS1Ya5h3C6D;sid=1Ya4h8DduVeUS;mta=mx5.mnd;d=20190306;t=163546[CET];ipsrc=82.71.204.28;"

is there ANYONE at VM who understands what is going on and can stop this nonsense 

PLEASE!!!!!

0 Kudos
aaronsloman
Fibre optic
Message 30 of 34
Flag for a moderator

The problem seems to be fixed now -- at least for me. The messages I knew had been delayed have now come through.

An extremely annoying waste of my time, at a very busy time.

0 Kudos