cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email box unavailable

ST819717
Joining in

Hi, I have the email unavailable message but can’t get an option to speak to anyone on the 0345 number, I am not a virgin customer I just have a virgin.net email account which I have had for years.

To ask a question here I had to join and verify my email which obviously I can’t because I’m locked out. I have used my wife’s email to become verified for this forum. Hopefully someone can help unlock my email, I use this for work and personal. I understand that I shouldn’t post my details here so please message me and I will confirm my account email, once again I have used my wife’s email to verify my forum account.

thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ST819717 what I will do is to escalate this thread to the forum team who will offer to contact you and see what can be done.

But, I have to be honest and set expectations here, both your and your wife's virgin.net accounts are orphaned as such are prone to being deleted at any point - they should have been deleted some three months after you stopped being a VM broadband customer, or it you never were one, a few months after the old legacy virgin dial up and ADSL services were terminated which was back in 2015/2016.

Either way, you both have been fairly lucky to have retained your email accounts up to now and Virgin will claim (not unreasonably) they they DID notify you of the closing of your emails as this was in the T&Cs you originally agreed to - in fact it could be argued that if you are not a customer of theirs's then VM should hold no details about you (GDPR), have no right to contact you and were they to do so they could be in breech of GDPR regulations

There have been numerous posts from people in exactly your position where VM have managed to restore access to the mailbox but on a strictly temporary basis, and when it goes off again (and it will), that's it - there are no second chances. But more recently there have been instances where VM have said that this is not possible - either because of a change in policy or possibly because the mailbox has already been fully deleted and hence there is nothing to restore access to!

So, I'm sure that they will do their best to help but you should be prepared for the possibility that the mailbox and all emails within it have been deleted with no chance of recovery. I would strongly suggest that your wife also makes immediate provision to setup an alternative email account and move everything across before that, too, is deleted.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin emails are only available to Virginmedia customers. You are fortunate to have had access for so long, but it has now stopped. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ok, but I haven’t received any notice of this change and as stated I used my wife’s email, also virgin.net and working well to register for this forum. I would have thought that something as serious a termination of email account would have been advised and a period given to back up emails and plan ahead, I have had nothing at all.

can anyone help please??

I have changed my password within my virgin media after doing a full malware and virus scan.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'll find it explained here...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi thanks for that, that’s all very clear and good to know but it doesn’t help my situation.

Can anyone help me to unlock my email so that can start the process of moving to a different email account, all of my security verifications will go to my virgin.net account that now I cannot access and this will leave me in limbo.

@ST819717 what I will do is to escalate this thread to the forum team who will offer to contact you and see what can be done.

But, I have to be honest and set expectations here, both your and your wife's virgin.net accounts are orphaned as such are prone to being deleted at any point - they should have been deleted some three months after you stopped being a VM broadband customer, or it you never were one, a few months after the old legacy virgin dial up and ADSL services were terminated which was back in 2015/2016.

Either way, you both have been fairly lucky to have retained your email accounts up to now and Virgin will claim (not unreasonably) they they DID notify you of the closing of your emails as this was in the T&Cs you originally agreed to - in fact it could be argued that if you are not a customer of theirs's then VM should hold no details about you (GDPR), have no right to contact you and were they to do so they could be in breech of GDPR regulations

There have been numerous posts from people in exactly your position where VM have managed to restore access to the mailbox but on a strictly temporary basis, and when it goes off again (and it will), that's it - there are no second chances. But more recently there have been instances where VM have said that this is not possible - either because of a change in policy or possibly because the mailbox has already been fully deleted and hence there is nothing to restore access to!

So, I'm sure that they will do their best to help but you should be prepared for the possibility that the mailbox and all emails within it have been deleted with no chance of recovery. I would strongly suggest that your wife also makes immediate provision to setup an alternative email account and move everything across before that, too, is deleted.

Hi there, thanks for your post, 

I really appreciate your help and do understand all that has been said. I have already changed many accounts to hold another email as point of contact or security checks, some though have sent verification codes to my VM account before I get to change the email they hold, frustrating but understandable.

Thank you for your advice also, my wife will do the same while she still has access.

If I could get a temporary period of access that would be a result and very helpful.

Thanks.

Hi @ST819717.

Welcome to the community!
I'm sorry to hear the issue you're having with your email. We can certainly try to see if we can give temporary access. I'll need to continue this conversation in private messaging so we can pass some account security. Please look out for my PM in your inbox. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

FYI if the affected virgin.net email account is not the primary one then consider signing in here with the primary account holder's details to see if changing the password resolves the issue, My Virgin Media > My Profile > Manage accounts

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I am now able to access my account on a temporary basis, this is really helpful and a massive relief!

Thank you Carley_s for your help and advice, also big thank you to jem101 for taking the time to help me initially.

😊