Menu
Callum2987
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email being used to send spam.

Hi I’ve been getting emails saying I’ve tried to send email and they’ve been returned. Had a text and received a letter from virgin media tried what they’ve said and still not working. Any help would be appreciated. 

Regards

Callum

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email being used to send spam.

Hello Callum2987,

I don't know everything - but it sounds like your account has been compromised.  You should check these articles.  If you can't reset your password online, telephone and ask for it to be reset by Virgin.  You'll need your account details.  Do all the steps and run malware on your computer.  If you need any advice, post back here and we'll try to help or recommend that a Forum Team member (VM employee) check in with you.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Callum2987,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you.

Can you please advise what you've already done by following the letter so I know how best to help?

Have you changed your password?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Callum2987
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah I reset it when I got letter and again today when I received message. Changed settings. I have my father in laws email address added into account and his is effected too. 

0 Kudos
Callum2987
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Added the f secure programs and see how that goes

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Callum2987 wrote:

Yeah I reset it

It worries me when people say they 'reset' the password. Smiley Sad  Does that mean that you changed it to a completely different password or merely reset it back to what it was before the account was locked?

"Changed settings"

Ok, but did you carry out all the instructions in the link that MissPasco gave in her post? https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

It is essential that you do because the letter that you received from VM indicates that someone gained access to your email account and once a hacker has done that it is relatively easy for them to gain access to (and use) any online accounts (eBay, Amazon etc) that are linked to that email address.

Many posters on here have reported that they have experienced exactly that.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Callum2987 

Things you really need to take note of.

1)  You've had bounces back from mails that you haven't sent.

While this COULD be down to spoofing if the bounces are from Mailer-Daemon@virginmedia.com OR postmaster@virginmedia.com - then it's more likely these are genuine bounces to emails sent using YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT

2) You've had a letter from Virgin Media. - Was this an ONNETSPAM or OFFNETSPAM reference?

ONNETSPAM means the mail has come from your network.
OFFNETSPAM means that the mail has come from outside the Virgin Media network.

NOTE THOUGH THAT IN BOTH CASES THE MAIL WILL HAVE COME FROM YOUR ACCOUNT.

Amongst other things mail providers can see the following.

IP address that connection was made from - (Can't be spoofed)
Username (i.e. email address) used to authenticate before sending. (Can't be spoofed)
Envelope-Sender email address.
Envelope-Recipient email address (can't be spoofed)

So Virgin Media will have definitive proof using the username of the email account in question.

As Coenoby's mentioned I too despair when someone simply says "I reset the password." - When someone is locked out of an account the first thing to do is CHANGE the password - not simply reset it.

Remember if you've been locked out - it's for a reason.  In fact in many cases I also advocate changing the security question and answer to something obscure, as hackers can and do trawl public information about you in order to find the answers to these.

The important thing to understand is that SMTP SENDS USUALLY LEAVE NO TRACE THAT THE NORMAL USER WILL SPOT

When a user uses IMAP then it's IMAP that puts Sent mail that's on your device into the Sent mail folder on the server NOT SMTP.

If I know your email address and password - I could happily send emails from anywhere in the world using your email account and you'd never know unless either:

1. I send to a non existent address and you get the bounce.
2. Virgin Media pick up evidence that the account has been spamming and notify you.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Callum2987
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I’ve totally changed password to something different and changed settings in which the two articles told me to. Ran virus programs on everything I use email on. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"2) You've had a letter from Virgin Media. - Was this an ONNETSPAM or OFFNETSPAM reference?

ONNETSPAM means the mail has come from your network.
OFFNETSPAM means that the mail has come from outside the Virgin Media network.

NOTE THOUGH THAT IN BOTH CASES THE MAIL WILL HAVE COME FROM YOUR ACCOUNT."

It would help us advise on the next steps if you would answer this question which was asked by ravenstar68 above.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos