cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email asking for smtp password

elbereth
Dialled in

Suddenly - my email has stopped working - and I'm being asked for SMTP password - which is of course saved in p/w list 

Why?

Broadband etc working fine 

7 REPLIES 7

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Change your password to a new one that you have never used before.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

so annoying when VM do this - they should at least send an email to say they are blocking accounts!

@elbereth wrote:
so annoying when VM do this - they should at least send an email to say they are blocking accounts!

I understand that they do, unfortunately your account is blocked so you can’t see the email which says that your account has been blocked……

they don't or it would be there once I unblocked - but it would be better customer service to send an email explaining that the account is about to be blocked with a reason - before pressing the block switch!  but that would assume they care about customer service

@elbereth 

Odd, because there have been a number of posts by people in exactly your position, saying that once the email was unlocked, they suddenly found an email saying that the email had been blocked because……

Now, I suppose we don’t know the circumstances of your or their situations, could it be that VM send an email to only the primary account address, and yours is a secondary address? Who knows?

Your point about ‘customer service’ - ah well, least said……..

John

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sometimes the email gets treated as spam by the VM Mail system!

A good idea is to set your VM contact email address to a non VM email.  This way you should get the notification even when the VM account has been blocked.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Better still, avoid using Virgin email altogether.  There are plenty of more reliable options. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.