cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email arrives in read format (not bold)

sdu60
On our wavelength

All email messages delivered to my devices are shown as read. Normally messages are in bold type and become normal type after reading but now all arrive in normal type. I have checked the boxes in the reading pane menu and they are set to deliver in bold. Whats going on?

Any suggestions?

13 REPLIES 13

Hi sdu60,

Thanks for coming back to us. We would like to get this investigated for you further. I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you, please click on the envelope at the top of the page to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 wrote:

Any suggestions?

Reading through this thread, I'm thinking you mainly use email apps such as Outlook to manage your emails.

I would suggest you that to trouble shoot this further by trying to check whether it's a VM or an email app or client that's causing your emails to be flagged as read.

Start by closing down/turning off Outlook and any other email apps or clients you have on all your devices so that for the moment none of them are synchronising with your VM webmail account.

Then sign in to your VM webmail account and send a test message to the same account. That will arrive in a second or two. Does that show as being read as soon as it arrives?

If it is shown as unread, just sign out of webmail and then sign back in again. Is the email still showing in bold?

If so that's starting to look like one of your email apps is flagging incoming emails as read.

Go back and open Outlook and do a send/receive to pick up new emails. When your test VM email arrives in the Outlook inbox is that now showing as read?

If so, when you check back with your webmail account I would expect that email to now show as read because its status will have been synchronised with Outlook.

There have been a number of posts on the Microsoft Forum over the years about this. See these two as examples.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-365-new-emails-showing-as-read 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/microsoft-office-2021-outlook-marking-all-... 

Sadly, Outlook has so many options that if it is an Outlook issue it's extremely difficult to resolve annoying things like this.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sdu60
On our wavelength

Thank you for your extensive reply. I have actually already got back to Jodi_S to say that the problem seems to have been cured. I had assumed that the glitch was occurring in Outlook 2016 which I use to manage my imap based devices emails and spent much effort searching for a solution. However on checking the Virgin web page I found that there was a rule requiring emails to be marked as read. I don't know how this was triggered but after cancelling the rule, emails started to arrive unread.
Thanks anyway and I found the references very interesting.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sdu60 

Thanks for that update, I'm pleased that you found the answer.

A little bit concerning though about that rule in your VM webmail account. Especially if you don't remember setting it up.  It would not have been something VM initiated, so some-one must have created that rule.

The worry is that if you did not set it then it was done by some-one (aka "a hacker") accessing your VM webmail account.  Have you seen any other email oddities, such as email notifications of password changes?

If you don't know how it got there then I would suggest that you must assume that your email account is compromised:

1. Check for any other suspicious rules in your webmail account
  2. Change your email password (and VM mail app password for Outlook) by signing into your My Virgin Media account using that email address and password.
  3. Also in MVM, change the password recovery question.
  4. You also need to check any other online accounts (social media, Amazon etc) that use your VM email address to make sure they have not been compromised as well.
  5. I would also suggest that you run full AV scan to make sure there is no malware on your devices.

Sorry to sound a bit dramatic but there have been lots of posts on here recently from people whose VM  email account has been hacked and linked online accounts had their password changed.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks