cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address not recognised

John1825
Tuning in

Hi- my Mum’s email address is not being recognised. We’ve tried accessing it via Virgin media’s website, answered security questions and the account has been ‘found’ - but trying to enter it and the password gets the same response- username not recognised .

Yesterday the email was working fine then it seemed to stop working- some error message about the server not being recognised. Since then we’ve just gone round in circles trying to log in

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@John1825 wrote:

It looks like I will be creating a new (non Virgin) email account for my mum - this is ridiculous now

Just a couple of thoughts if I may:

The email address used to create a VM Forum Account does not have to be a VM email address. So if you create, say a Gmail  account, for your mum that could be used to set up a Forum Account. That would allow VM staff to comply with the GBPR regulations and deal directly with your mum (even though she may need your help 😉 ).

Also, once you have a new email address set up for your mum I would suggest that you seriously consider seeing if she would be willing to switch to  that address.  As you are discovering, the VM email service is not totally reliable and once you have a problem it is not easy to get it resolved. Moving your mum to a dedicated free email service would save a lot of hassle in the long run.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

John1825
Tuning in

Can nobody from Virgin Media respond? We tried phoning your helpline and have had our question sent to your technical help desk but we’re told they will phone is back ‘in 2-3 days’

this is annoying cos the household is isolating with covid symptoms, we need to access email to order a food / toiletries delivery from sainsburys asap. My mum’s email was working fine up to lunchtime on Monday, then the error messages started 

I’ve seen lots of similar queries posted here, after I posted my message, and they have had responses and offers to help from Virgin Media staff. My identical problem is still unresolved (and no one has replied)

Please can someone reply and ideally give details of an admin person I can message to discuss further? Thank you 

Anybody there, Virgin Media people?

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @John1825,

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making your first post regarding your mum's email address, I'm really sorry to hear it's not working.

Just to clarify - does your mum hold an active Virgin Broadband account?

Kind regards,

Serena

Hi Serena- thank you for your reply,

yes, my mum’s Virgin broadband account is working perfectly. Tv feed and general internet access is fine.

Thanks for coming back to us.

Can you clarify, is it your account or your Mum's? If it's your Mum's then we'll need to get her to either post on here on her own forum account as it's something only an account holder can do, or call us on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and we can assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John- the account is my Mum’s but she’s not very tech savvy, hence me trying to help and joining this forum on her behalf.

I have covid symptoms, she is in her 80s and shielding so I’m wary of getting her to handle my iPhone (the device I’m using to access this forum) and /or having to stand nearby to explain to her how to type in and post messages in a thread.

we’ll try the phone line you suggest but are not hopeful since I know your IT help desk will be affected by staff shortages 

Can I not PM somebody here with her home phone number so that can contact her directly?

PS another thought- my Mum can’t create her own discussion thread here about her problem, since first she’d have to join the forum and to do that (to verify her registration)  she needs access to her email!