cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email accout hacked with password

Malc0054
Joining in

Hi -I have received the following email which actually shows my actual password (I have since changed this)

I have to share bad news with you.

Approximately few months ago I have gained access to your devices, which you use for internet browsing.
After that, I have started tracking your internet activities.
Some time ago I hacked you and got access to your email accounts .
Obviously, I have easily hack to log in to your email.
Your password: 

One week later, I have already installed Trojan virus to Operating Systems of all the devices that you use to access your email.
In fact, it was not really hard at all (since you were following the links from your inbox emails).
All ingenious is simple. 😃
This software provides me with access to all the controllers of your devices (e.g., your microphone, video camera and keyboard).
I have downloaded all your information, data, photos, web browsing history to my servers.
I have access to all your messengers, social networks, emails, chat history and contacts list.
My virus continuously refreshes the signatures (it is driver-based), and hence remains invisible for antivirus software.
The message goes on....of course demanding $600

My concern is that I have general and personal files in folders which they say they have accessed and copied.

Can anybody give me any advise.

Many Thanks

Malcolm

8 REPLIES 8

Leffemonster
On our wavelength

I received exactly the same email this morning after my Microsoft 365 account had been hacked. I’ve now lost access to my OneDrive files.

Having changed my password, I still have full access to my account. Its the unknown if they can still access and track things - do close my email address down after 20+ years.

Its my personal files that are my main concern. Do I move them to another email address or is it too late.

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Malc0054 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your email.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some details and investigate further, keep an eye on your inbox for a message from myself.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

It’s very concerning isn’t it? I’ve changed the password on my email account but haven’t dared access it yet. As for my Office 365 account - that’s gone, completely locked out of it. Luckily there’s nothing sensitive in my OneDrive files but it just leaves you feeling totally violated. Seems like it’s happening to a lot of people as well.

I was able to open up my account with a new password. 

Its now a case of changing all passwords, which will be a challenge and making them as creative and secure as possible.

Already had Facebook asking if it was me that wanted to change my password!

Hi Malcolm and Travis

•  i got the same mail yesterday. Dire threats of distributing emails and locking pc with trojans already installed plus a demand for $600 to make the problem go away

I ran Norton and nothing showed

i did manage to change my p/w and can only access via the web portal

All my email clients on Pc and Iphone will not accept New or old p/w. Message says “ cannot add account”

I am asol getting password/ change codes from eg. Microsoft and Linkdin. The latter today said the request was generated in Mexico City  these started a week ago

i am still a VM customer

please can you help especially with this inability to sign on to TP client email apps. What has this hacker done to cause this?

Hi mahday,

Thank you for coming back to us. I understand this must be really concerning and distressing for you.

There are different types of malware - some forms of malware (called ransomware) will encrypt the victim's files to prevent access. The attacker then usually request a payment to decrypt the files or to remove the malware.

If you haven't already, we'd recommend reporting this to the local authorities so they can investigate this further. We know that you've already ran an anti-malware scanner, however we'd recommend running another if possible and keeping your device turned off / disconnected from the internet.

Thank you,

Beth

Thank you Beth

will do

I have PC booked in for Monday for a health check at my local pc experts

will report back when done

thanks

Mike