cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account on IOS

dagenhamdave20
Joining in

My virgin mail suddenly stopped yesterday on Mac and phone - both with latest iOS - and I couldn't access through browser

After calling Virgin they reset my password - which I had not changed - but even though I changed on my devices it would still not work - so I deleted the accounts on devices and attempted to add them again (something I did a couple of years ago successfully)

Now the message I get on my iPhone is No Password provided for "Virginmedia" go to account t settings and enter a password

I can get mail through the web browser only now

Any idea how to fix - Virgin deny its their problem and want to charge me through sone tech firm to fix

2 REPLIES 2

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. On you Mac open the Terminal application and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | grep "235\\|VM" 

Did the resulting output report:

• Authentication successful?
  • If not then what VM error code was reported?

NB  do make sure to redact from your reply information not for publication on a public forum

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi dagenhamedave20, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue getting your mails working on your devices since the password change. 

It is possible that you're either using incorrect settings or you tried adding the account before things had unlocked. 

As it's working within webmail, the account is no longer locked so should work. 

Please try re-adding the account to your app or mail client using these settings

If that doesn't work, follow the suggestion provided by 用心棒. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs