cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email account locked

abrahad
On our wavelength

I no longer have access to my @ntlworld emails.  I have gone through the loop of resetting my password several times with no joy.  I would normally view emails with Thunderbird but this simply keeps prompting me for the password.  I can't see emails on virgin webmail either, I am just told to reset the password.  Any suggestions?

14 REPLIES 14

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@abrahad If you are seeing a message in webmail to change the password then that is the first thing you should do.

Sign into the account here: https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media using the email address concerned and the current password. Once logged in click on Account Settings then Account details. You should now see the options to change password etc.

If that isn't available try https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

abrahad
On our wavelength

As I said in op I have tried resetting password several times.  The password is changed as it allows me to log into my virgin media account but still not my webmail.  I have just spent about 50 mins on the phone help line and the assistant says she has unlocked the account but it will take 5 - 10 days !!!! before I can view my emails.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you sure that you are changing the password for the specific email address concerned?  Each VM email address now has its own My Virgin Media account.

For instance changing the password for the primary account will not change a secondary account password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

abrahad
On our wavelength

Yes I see what you mean.  By following the instructions to change my password, I am changing the main VM account password but not the email password.  These have always been the same but I recently decided to migrate to gmail and changed my preferred address to gmail on all my accounts including VM.  With hindsight, this was probably not a good idea.  I'm now in the position that I can log into my main VM account with either email address each with their own passwords. I am prompted to choose which one I log in with which is a bit weird.

While email access is blocked on the VM website, I don't think I can get access to change specific email address passwords.  What I could try is resetting my preferred email address to the original ntlworld.com.  What do you think?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That may not be possible.  Can you try following the steps that I set out earlier but make sure you are logged out of any VM account first.  Then log in using the problem email address and current password.  Ignore the message that implies you need to use the main My VM email. If that doesn't work then the VM Forum Team staff will need to assist.  However with the Christmas period upon us that may not be possible until next week.

abrahad
On our wavelength

Ok. I've reset my main account password again via the link in your post and this appears to be successful i.e. I can log into my main virgin account but I still have no access to webmail (same change password message) and I still cannot access the separate email password page.

Whilst in the process of entering my new password, I received a gmail message from Virgin  "We've received a request to reset your password ....." 

Looks to me like the problem has been caused by changing to a gmail address to login.  I'm inclined to leave things as they are for now and just not use my ntlworld.com email anymore.  That was always the long term intention anyway, I would just like to check if anyone is trying to contact me on the old address.

abrahad
On our wavelength

For the benefit of anyone else following this thread, I've just stumbled on the following post:

Re: Setting up new email address

on ‎11-09-2022 11:49

Hi @RayDHK

Welcome back to the community, 

Sorry to hear of your concerns that we have removed the ability to add additional emails mailboxes. .....................................

Carley - Forum Team

Sorry to hear of your concerns that we have removed the ability to add additional emails mailboxes. 

The ability to add additional emails has currently been removed, my apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. 

Carley - Forum Team

If I had seen this earlier it would have saved hours of messing about. 

In short, if you use Virgin emails you should switch to another provider as soon as possible.  I personally like gmail.  You may not be able to use Virgin webmail from your account pages but this looks like it will disappear soon anyway.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@abrahad Also for the benefit of others reading this thread, whilst VM have stopped allowing new email addresses from being created, they have also stated that existing email addresses linked to current VM broadband accounts will continue to be supported.

Of course this may change at some point in the future.

Having an email address that is not tied to a specific ISP account is always a good Idea.

abrahad
On our wavelength

Still no access to one of my email addresses although I can send to it.

Escalated to 2nd line support on 4/1/23 with ticket no. INC00004595564.

Checked on progress today 14/01/23 and was passed on to 2nd line again who told me it was fixed. It isn't. Customer support agent changed my password again and we verified that I still have no access to email so she has raised a new ticket. 

Is there anything else I can do to progress this?