Menu
Robert_tel
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Email account hacked

My email account has been hacked and security questions changed. I’ve tried calling customer services but they couldn’t help. Please help me fix this. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email account hacked

Welcome to the forum. Sorry that you have had to come here in such distressing circumstances.

The first thing to do is follow the advice here: What-to-do-if-you-think-your-email-account-has-been-accessed-by-someone-else

Also run a scan using the free version of Malwarebytes, but make sure you only download it from their own site.

If you cannot access the My Virgin Media page because of this issue try the forgotten password link on the sign in page.  You may need to enter the security answers in Upper case letters.

If none of this works then your access may have been blocked for security reasons.  If this is the case VM will contact you via text or snsil mail, depending on your contact details.

Robert_tel
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response. The scan is fine. The problem is the second step, I’m unable to reset my password. The answer to my security question has been changed. So don’t know what to do now? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I added some additional advice to my last post before you replied.  Does that help?

One question though, do you have a VM broadband account and is the email account concerned linked to it?

Robert_tel
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin has not contacted me about account being locked. 

The email is not linked to a virgin account, it was created many years ago during virgin dial-up isp days. 

What can be done to either get the password and security question reset or just shutdown the account. Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Robert_tel wrote:

Virgin has not contacted me about account being locked. 

The email is not linked to a virgin account, it was created many years ago during virgin dial-up isp days. 

What can be done to either get the password and security question reset or just shutdown the account. Thanks in advance. 

Probably nothing in the light of this reply. As it would appear to be an 'orphaned account' VM will not have any contact details for you, hence no contact.

The only slight chance is if you do have a current VM broadband account there may be a chance of linking the email address to your current account, but that would be at the expense of any existing email addresses on the account.

You can read about orphaned accounts here: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M147177

VM are stepping up their efforts to close down these old accounts.  Virgin.net ones are the current target beginning with loss of webmail access from 1 Jan 19 for those not linked to current broadband accounts.

Edited to add:  You may still be able to access the account via an email client if you now the account password, even if this doesn't work via webmail.

Failing that the VM Forum team will be able to assist in closing down the address permanently, but it will take them a few days to get to this thread.

Robert_tel
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Then suppose I just want the account closed down. Thanks for the advice. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Robert_tel,

I can arrange for deletion of the mail account for you, but please make sure that you've saved any important emails first (by using a client as per Graham's advice). I've sent you a PM (purple envelope top right) for details for when you're ready for me to take action on this.

Regards 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos