cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email access

J1mbob
Joining in

Hi emails were working fine this morning but this afternoon I can’t access anything.

I have tried changing passwords, clearing cache/cookies etc which seems to have made it worse.

Now when I go to log in I get email and password not recognised, and the change password option doesn’t work.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J1mbob wrote:

Now when I go to log in I get email and password not recognised, and the change password option doesn’t work.

1) What was the first error message you saw that made you decide to try changing  the password and clearing the cache etc.?

2) You say "emails were working fine" and "tried changing passwords" which seems to imply that more than one email account is affected. Is it more than one of your Virgin Media email accounts affected or just one email account?

3) Do you have a Virgin Media broadband account? One of the reasons I ask that is because if a VM email account is not linked to a current VM broadband account then VM may well have deleted it. (They are meant to do that 90 days after the broadband account is closed but they often leave it much longer before getting round to it and they never give any warning beforehand.) 

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi thanks for the reply…

1) What was the first error message you saw that made you decide to try changing  the password and clearing the cache etc.?  It just stopped working, so had a Google came across this community people had similar issues suggestions were password change and a cache clear would sort it.

2) You say "emails were working fine" and "tried changing passwords" which seems to imply that more than one email account is affected. Is it more than one of your Virgin Media email accounts affected or just one email account?   No only one account my old ntlworld one “emails” meant as in was receiving emails ok 

3) Do you have a Virgin Media broadband account? One of the reasons I ask that is because if a VM email account is not linked to a current VM broadband account then VM may well have deleted it. (They are meant to do that 90 days after the broadband account is closed but they often leave it much longer before getting round to it and they never give any warning beforehand.)   Yes I have a full package been with virgin from the start nothing is cancelled and I have volt too. 

hope that helps?

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J1mbob wrote:

Hi thanks for the reply…

1)   It just stopped working, ...............

2)  only one account my old ntlworld one “emails” meant as in was receiving emails ok 

3)  Yes I have a full package been with virgin from the start nothing is cancelled and I have volt too. 

Thanks for the answers to 2) and 3)

However, sadly 1)  does not give any more information than your first post.

What does "It just stopped working" really mean? For example:

1. Does it mean you cannot access the account or does it mean that you can access the account but cannot send or receive emails?
  2. Do you access your email account using the Virgin Media Webmail account on the VM website via a page that looks this https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  ? Or do you use an email app such as Microsoft Outlook?
  3. If it's via the VM webmail service does it mean you cannot even access the login page at all  or can you access the sign in page but you get an error message when enter your email address and password?
  4. If you use an email app what error message is that giving you?

The reason I specifically asked for the error message is because that would have given some good clues as to the answers of a - d and would have saved some time having to ask specific questions.

Sorry if I seem to be being difficult but I cannot see what you can see, I can only go by the information you provide.

With more specific information on what is going on with your email it will be easier to give some constructive advice. As you have found, the advice given for apparently "similiar" issues is not necessarily going to be successful.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Hi no problem, I can’t access the account at all it’s like it doesn’t exist anymore, I’ve done the forgotten password and nothing happens when I complete the dob and security answer it just sits there no error message ..nothing.

I get nothing via my email client that I did use and also nothing on the webmail.

hope that helps 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J1mbob wrote:

I’ve done the forgotten password and nothing happens when I complete the dob and security answer it just sits there no error message ..nothing.

In fact that's quite common.  I have seen that when I've tried testing the forgotten password route. There were no issues with my VM email account at that point, it could send and receive emails fine, I was just seeing if I could replicate that problem which has been reported by a number of posters. It may well be a symptom of problems with VM's password reset system rather than your account.

"I get nothing via my email client that I did use and also nothing on the webmail"

Most apps will report an error message if the send and receive routine fails and that might give a clue to what's going on.

Regarding webmail, well, again you have successfully confused me.  😕  In the same post  you say

"I can’t access the account at all it’s like it doesn’t exist anymore" 

but then go on to say that:

you get "nothing on webmail".

So how do you know your not receiving emails if you cannot access the account?  I'm being deafened by the sound of one hand clapping. 😉

Sadly, I think I may have to give up on this, I feel as if we're getting nowhere. As I said before I can only go by what you post and I'm not seeing enough definitive information to give any constructive advice.

The only thing I can suggest is to try the other route to reset your VM email password:

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the email address and existing password.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address rather than the webmail account itself.

If you can access the 'My Virgin Media' account,  navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Update settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

It would be worth giving that a try, failing that the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) should be able to help you.

Coenoby

The only thing I can suggest is to try the other route to reset your VM email password:  yes that’s just it as I have said before and before I can’t nothing is recognised it’s like the ‘my virgin media’ account has been deleted I have tried all routes I can think of

Sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the email address and existing password.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address rather than the webmail account itself.  Doesn’t work tried that several times 

If you can access the 'My Virgin Media' account,  navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Update settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. 

It would be worth giving that a try, failing that the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) should be able to help you. How do I bring it to their attention?

many thanks for all your attempts, I return your one hand clap 🫲

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@J1mbob wrote:

the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) should be able to help you. How do I bring it to their attention?

You cannot. They should catch up with your post in the next day or so, However, if one of the team has not contacted you on this thread by later this afternoon I will escalate it to them. 

Coenoby

Hey @J1mbob,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your email account, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,
Steven_L

Glad to hear that you have managed to get this resolved over the phone.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L