Menu
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Email access

I am having problems accessing my email and get the error message that I should try back in an hour but nothing has been happening.  I also get the below. 

Any suggestions to resolve.  It could be an outage although I'm not sure about that. 

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Email access

Account has probably been locked by VM security because they have detected unauthorised use. Change the password in My Virginmedia and wait here for the VM staff here to get the account unlocked - which they will only do if you have changed the password. They should get here in 24 hours.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Howard,

Looks like you were right about security breach - see below.

However, does this mean from the text that this forwarding rule has been in place since Jan 14 2020?  If so, then so much should be compromised by now but isn't.  Perhaps the date I should be looking at is elsewhere in this message?  I do have Anti-Virus on my laptop and have just run a full scan with no threats.  I also have identity protection through Experian and others too.  I've also changed some of my online passwords.

How would you read this?

Dear customer,

Recently we noticed suspicious activity on your Virgin Media email account, so as a security precaution we temporarily locked your mailbox.

Since then, you’ve successfully reset your password in order to unlock your account. We’re getting in touch to let you know why this happened and some further steps you should take to help you stay safe.

What happened?

An automatic forwarding rule was set up on this email account. This means that emails sent to your address have been forwarded on to a third-party address, giving them access to your emails. We believe it’s unlikely you set this up on purpose, so we have removed all rules and temporarily locked your mailbox as a precaution.

We’ve included an extract of the suspicious forwarding rule at the bottom of this email. It may look confusing, but all you need to do is take note of the date it was enabled; it’s important you review any emails received after this that may contain personal information, and, as a precaution, secure any online accounts that may be associated.

What should I do now?

Please take the steps below as soon as possible:

1. Check your antivirus software

We recommend you take this opportunity to check your antivirus software is up to date and run a full scan of your devices. Regular virus scans are essential for helping your devices to stay virus free. If you do not have antivirus software installed on your devices, we recommend you install it.

2. Update your online passwords

For added security, you should change the passwords for all your third party online accounts (for example online banking, retail and social media sites) in case they have been compromised due to email forwarding. For security reasons, please don’t use any passwords you’ve used before, or that you currently use elsewhere.

3. Reset any intentional forwarding rules

As a precaution, we’ve removed all forwarding rules from your account. So if there are any you do need set up, you’ll need to reset them.

For more information about security, please visit virginmedia.com/securityhub

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Watch out for phishing: Virgin Media never asks for personal information by email. Check out how to detect and prevent phishing and other security related information at virginmedia.com/securityhub

Ps – this is an automatic message. Emails to no-reply@virginmedia.com aren’t read or answered personally.

Sieve content
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Generated by OX Sieve Bundle on Tue Jan 14 21:23:33 CET 2020

require [ "fileinto" , "imap4flags" ];

## Flag: |UniqueId:0|Rulename: .

if header :contains "From" "amazon"

{

addflag "\\seen" ;

fileinto "Trash" ;

}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

403: Forbidden Access

I've been having issues with sending email and also accessing via my mobile phone - I get the above forbidden access message.

I am using Outlook on my laptop and the email is received but I can't send anything.  I can't see anything at all on my mobile.

I am working from a remote location at the moment, so really need to be able to send as a matter of urgency if someone could please help.

Regards,

John Fraser

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 403: Forbidden Access

Please note that I have changed my password (again) so would be obliged if you can update my account so that I can send email as well as receive.

Could you please look at this as a matter of urgency and escalate to the VM technical team as a matter of urgency.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I keep getting a 403 forbidden access both for Outlook and when I try to access email on my mobile. I can receive in outlook but not send - could you please check and advise ASAP as I am working remotely. I have changed my password... 

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

403 Forbidden

Further to my previous message, my email that starts, jx...is not being allowed to send email via the smtp link.  I would be much obliged if VM could please reinstate this facility asap so that I can send emails as I am currently working from a remote location.  If you need to go through any security checks with me, then please do so - I confirm that I have changed my password yesterday.

0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

403 forbidden access

I have been trying to get an answer to my query for a few days now. I keep getting the 403 message when I try to access my mail box via my android phone. 

I have tried removing the cache etc but it does not work. 

Any suggestions please as to how to unlock. 

Regards, 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
johnxf
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Smtp from outlook

I have been trying to sort out an email sending issue from my laptop but with no joy.  I am using Windows 10 and been using Outlook for email. 

I can receive emails to my ntlworld. Com address but cannot send at the moment. I would be much obliged if you could please suggest a remedy.

I am working remotely at the moment so this is critical. 

0 Kudos