Menu
MrBlogg
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Email access problems from Outlook

Since Monday none of our email accounts have been able to send or receive from Outlook, but all are accessible via webmail etc.

I'm a Virginmedia customer (since the days of Eurobell) and nothing has changed on the PC settings to cause this.

The PC is used for several email accounts in the house, amongst them Virginmedia, Blueyonder & Onetel, and are all regularly used. Now everytime we try to check our emails they all timeout.

I've just managed to get the Virginmedia & Blueyonder accounts working again for both send & receive by changing the server details from 'blueyonder.co.uk' to 'virginmedia.com' and changing the necessary server port / encryption settings. No idea why the sudden change to these was needed, but there you go.

However, any non-Virginmedia email accounts (using POP3) still can't receive any incoming mail, and get the following message:- Task 'Email - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.

We can now send email from the non-Virginmedia accounts by changing the outgoing server settings to use my Virginmedia login, but receiving email still doesn't work.

If this had been an issue with just the non-Virginmedia accounts I would have suspected their POP servers were at fault, but the fact it happened to all of our accounts on the same day suggests otherwise.

Thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email access problems from Outlook

@MrBlogg wrote:

Since Monday none of our email accounts have been able to send or receive from Outlook, but all are accessible via webmail etc.

The PC is used for several email accounts in the house, amongst them Virginmedia, Blueyonder & Onetel, and are all regularly used. Now everytime we try to check our emails they all timeout.

If all your email accounts from VM and Onetel (now TalkTalk) suddenly failed at the same time, that suggests to me that perhaps a Microsoft Update corrupted the settings on Outlook.

I've just managed to get the Virginmedia & Blueyonder accounts working again for both send & receive by changing the server details from 'blueyonder.co.uk' to 'virginmedia.com' and changing the necessary server port / encryption settings. No idea why the sudden change to these was needed, but there you go.

That's good news 😉   By the way, since 2017 VM have been strongly recommending the use of the virginmedia.com servers for all their legacy email domains such as Blueyonder.

However, any non-Virginmedia email accounts (using POP3) still can't receive any incoming mail, and get the following message:- Task 'Email - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.

That error  means you are using the wrong port, or the wrong server or an invalid username in your email settings.

We can now send email from the non-Virginmedia accounts by changing the outgoing server settings to use my Virginmedia login, but receiving email still doesn't work.

If I am interpreting that corectly it means that the emails you are sending out will have your VM email address not your Ontel address on them.  It also means that if anyone replies to those messages it will go back to your VM email account not your Onetel account. Is that what you want?

If you want to continue using your Onetel account to send and receive, the email incoming and outgoing server settings should always be those recommended by the relevant email service (in this case nOnetel / TalkTalk).

As far as I know, the recommended servers for Onetel email are the TalkTalk servers.

Those details are here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399 However, if you enter those settings correctly and they still fail you need to go back to TalkTalk for further advice and clarification. 

If this had been an issue with just the non-Virginmedia accounts I would have suspected their POP servers were at fault, but the fact it happened to all of our accounts on the same day suggests otherwise.

As i said earlier,  if all your email accounts failed that suggests a problem with corrupted settings rather than multiple server issues across at least two providers.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
MrBlogg
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your comments coenoby. My follow-up responses are in blue below...

@coenoby wrote:

@MrBlogg wrote:

If all your email accounts from VM and Onetel (now TalkTalk) suddenly failed at the same time, that suggests to me that perhaps a Microsoft Update corrupted the settings on Outlook.

No MS updates on Monday as far as I can tell. The failures seem to have started on Sunday but definitely nothing since Monday.

That's good news 😉   By the way, since 2017 VM have been strongly recommending the use of the virginmedia.com servers for all their legacy email domains such as Blueyonder.

I was aware of this but simply never got around to it as everything was working fine. "If it ain't broke..." and all that!

That error  means you are using the wrong port, or the wrong server or an invalid username in your email settings.

The port and username etc haven't changed on the PC's Outlook settings and having checked online they're still the same as recommended for the specified accounts.

If I am interpreting that corectly it means that the emails you are sending out will have your VM email address not your Ontel address on them.  It also means that if anyone replies to those messages it will go back to your VM email account not your Onetel account. Is that what you want?

That's not correct. I'm using the VM login details for the outgoing SMTP server but all email details are still OneTel so when replied they come back through the OneTel account as expected & desired.

If you want to continue using your Onetel account to send and receive, the email incoming and outgoing server settings should always be those recommended by the relevant email service (in this case nOnetel / TalkTalk).

As far as I know, the recommended servers for Onetel email are the TalkTalk servers.

Those details are here: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Email-settings-IMAP-amp-POP3/ta-p/2204399 However, if you enter those settings correctly and they still fail you need to go back to TalkTalk for further advice and clarification. 

Have never been a customer of TalkTalk (had Onetel dialup many many years ago, i.e. pre-Eurobell/TeleWest/VM), but have always kept the email address going. The TalkTalk server settings are different and don't work with OneTel addresses. As noted above, the server settings being used are those that are recommended.

As i said earlier,  if all your email accounts failed that suggests a problem with corrupted settings rather than multiple server issues across at least two providers.

...or something changed with VM not allowing POP3 traffic through? I tried starting again by setting up new versions of the accounts in Outlook but still the same issues, so settings wouldn't appear to be corrupted.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MrBlogg

Ok, my comments in return 😉

No MS updates on Monday as far as I can tell. The failures seem to have started on Sunday but definitely nothing since Monday.

.or something changed with VM not allowing POP3 traffic through?

I use POP3 and have had no problems and there were no significant increases in reports of POP3 issues on this forum. Normally when the servers go down the forum goes mad.

The port and username etc haven't changed on the PC's Outlook settings and having checked online they're still the same as recommended for the specified accounts.

Well, the error message does not lie,that's what is being reported by Outlook

That's not correct. I'm using the VM login details for the outgoing SMTP server but all email details are still OneTel so when replied they come back through the OneTel account as expected & desired.

Well, the fact remains that any email address that ends in "@onetel.co.uk" or "@onetel.com" should be using the email servers recommended by whoever manages that email service. That as far as I know is TalkTalk.

The TalkTalk server settings are different and don't work with OneTel addresses. As noted above, the server settings being used are those that are recommended.

Recommended by whom? If you cannot receive onetel emails then you you need to check with whoever recommended them. You cannot use virginmedia's servers to receive onetel emails.

Having done a quick online search I found this link https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Product-Archive/Settings-for-Onetel-Outgoing-SMTP-emails-in-Outl... It is from 2016 but says that the onetel servers " are due to expire in the next 12 to 18 months so we would recommend using the Gmail email servers for a permanent solution."  I have no way of knowing whether that is correct.

Coenoby

If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
MrBlogg
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.

I use POP3 and have had no problems and there were no significant increases in reports of POP3 issues on this forum. Normally when the servers go down the forum goes mad.

I agree totally and it's the bit that I don't get. I was expecting to see lots of people with issues so wondered if it was something about my VM account or access.

Well, the error message does not lie, that's what is being reported by Outlook.

Again I agree, but the error message may well be reporting what it sees but the port settings etc haven't changed so if they were wrong I'd have been having trouble for years.

Well, the fact remains that any email address that ends in "@onetel.co.uk" or "@onetel.com" should be using the email servers recommended by whoever manages that email service. That as far as I know is TalkTalk.

Recommended by whom? If you cannot receive onetel emails then you you need to check with whoever recommended them. You cannot use virginmedia's servers to receive onetel emails.

Correct on all counts, but the OneTel settings I've been using for many years are recommended by TalkTalk and just about every site I've been looking at (including the TalkTalk link that you provided) so there's been no change there. I'm aware that VM's servers can't be used to access OneTel emails, so I didn't bother trying.

As for the server expiry date issue, that's been drifting around for ages and still no news on when it may happen.

I've got a long ethernet cable that I'll be connecting to my neighbour's router tomorrow (no wifi on this desktop) as he's using a different ISP. Then I'll try Outlook again to see if the problems persist.

Will post back any findings, unless someone has any other pointers.

coenoby
Super solver
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@MrBlogg wrote:

I've got a long ethernet cable that I'll be connecting to my neighbour's router tomorrow (no wifi on this desktop) as he's using a different ISP. Then I'll try Outlook again to see if the problems persist.

Will post back any findings, unless someone has any other pointers.

Thanks for all the feedback. 👍

I hope you get to the bottom of it and get it sorted.

Interesting to see your comment about the Onetel server settings. Just a thought but could your Onetel account be in the throws of being shut down by TalkTalk?  As I say, just a thought...sorry.

However, I still think the answer lies in getting the correct settings.😃

Coenoby

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Have a look at this site here:

https://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sendreceiveerrors.htm

This contains a list of Outlook Error codes - Here's what it says about the error code listed in the OP

x8004210AThe operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.
If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Virus scanner integration issue

This is one of these strange situations when the error message given with the code is misleading.  Rather than looking at Outlook or VM solely as the culprit, you want to be looking at your antivirus software instead.

P.S.  I had a look at the POP3 and IMAP settings for onetel.com and let me tell you, in this day and age it's scary to see a provider STILL using non encrypted connections for POP3 and IMAP.  Were these my accounts I would be complaining to

• TalkTalk
  • The ICO

It's been recommended since the late 90[s that mail providers DO NOT use clear text password authentication on an unencrypted connection.  If someone can listen in on the connection then they can harvest email addresses and passwords, as well as the contents of any emails being downloaded to your PC.

You say, if it aint broke, don't fix it.  Well this might appear to be working, but it definitely needs putting right.

And don't get me started on any company that only uses IP addresses to decide whether or not a sender can send mail via their SMTP servers.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

This is one of these strange situations when the error message given with the code is misleading.  Rather than looking at Outlook or VM solely as the culprit, you want to be looking at your antivirus software instead.

When I read the original post my first thought was an antivirus issue but I (wrongly 😞) dismissed that idea when I read that the OP  had sorted the problem with their Blueyonder account by updating their settings to the recommended VM settings. Plus the problem of AV disrupting email sending and receiving seems less common now than it did a few years ago.

Mention of the security issue with the Onetel settings now makes me think that the OP's antivirus/security software may have had an issue with the OP's Onetel and Blueyonder because both accounts were originally using unencrypted settings. Or perhaps there is something else?

One other thing that intrigued me was the OP's comment in the original post:
"We can now send email from the non-Virginmedia accounts by changing the outgoing server settings to use my Virginmedia login, but receiving email still doesn't work."

I was surprised because I thought that was no longer possible with the VM servers, although I don't know why I assumed that!

Just to check, I changed the Outlook settings for my personal domain to the Virginmedia server and added my VM credentials and the Outlook test message duly arrived within seconds. I learnt something new there!😀

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby  On the last point the virginmedia smtp server will work if correctly authenticated but using it for anything other than VM email addresses is fraught with danger unless your domain records are set up correctly to list it as an authorised server for sending from your domain.  Otherwise emails are likely to have a range of issues from delayed delivery, non delivery or just ending up in spam traps all the time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Super solver
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

@coenoby  On the last point the virginmedia smtp server will work if correctly authenticated but using it for anything other than VM email addresses is fraught with danger unless your domain records are set up correctly to list it as an authorised server for sending from your domain.  Otherwise emails are likely to have a range of issues from delayed delivery, non delivery or just ending up in spam traps all the time.

I understand the risks. I should have added that I changed my settings back to the correct original settings once I had proved to myself that it was possible to send them via a third party server. I was just surprised that it was possible to do that using the VM servers 😉

Coenoby