cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Transfer

hotelbravo777
Joining in

Hello,

I would like to transfer my email address from my parents who have Virginmedia to my Virginmedia account, how do I go about doing this?

4 REPLIES 4

jem101
Superstar

I believe that this cannot be done, VM do offer a ‘move and transfer’ but that is for users who move address and need to transfer account info and email to the new account and where both accounts are in the same name.

In any event a M&T will delete all emails currently associated with your existing account in favour of all the ones from the ‘donor’ account.

hotelbravo777
Joining in

Then if my parents closed the account, I would no longer be able to access my email?

@hotelbravo777 wrote:

Then if my parents closed the account, I would no longer be able to access my email?

That's correct.

This is just one of the (many) reasons to use a non ISP provided email service.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

@hotelbravo777 in fact if your parents were to close their account, then your mailbox and all of the mail within it is supposed to be deleted after 90 days. Now it appears that often this doesn't happen and the mailbox lingers on, only to be unceremoniously deleted years later much to the surprise of all and sundry.

So, basically, don't chance it!

Create a new email address for yourself, ideally not tied to a particular ISP, change your address on as many sites as you can and copy mail from your old mailbox to the new one - you can forward individual mail items if you want.