cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Sync Issue

Treaddie
Dialled in

Hi, I am having a problem with Virgin Media mail syncing with Outlook 365 mail. With the one account I am only getting a selection of my emails & cannot explain why, with the other account when I checked the online settings it had been disabled, again I do not know why. I have since enabled the account but again I am only getting some of my mail from the server. Online my 1st account is displaying all emails received as it should but the other account is only showing a few messages.

I don't have a clue what to do about this but saw something online which involved running a command in windows 10 and after doing so, this is what I got. Hopefully someone will understand what it all means.

Thanks in advance 

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1165]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>curl -v -url "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com" --user [REMOVED]
Enter host password for user [REMOVED]
* Rebuilt URL to: smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/
* Trying [REMOVED]...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com ([REMOVED]) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 1/3)
* schannel: checking server certificate revocation
* schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 191 bytes...
* schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 191 bytes
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 2/3)
* schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
* schannel: encrypted data got 2431
* schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 2431 length 4096
* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
* schannel: clear security context handle
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

C:\Windows\system32>

C:\Windows\system32>curl -v -url "smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com" --user [REMOVED]
Enter host password for user [REMOVED]
* Rebuilt URL to: smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/
* Trying [REMOVED]
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to smtp.virginmedia.com ([REMOVED]) port 465 (#0)
* schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 (step 1/3)
* schannel: checking server certificate revocation
* schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 191 bytes...
* schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 191 bytes
* schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
* schannel: encrypted data got 2431
* schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 2431 length 4096
* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
* schannel: clear security context handle
curl: (35) schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When validating a certificate a check is made against a list of those revoked by the issuer and this failed resulting in the issue seen in curl and your email client. FYI a similar issue was raised last April here Email not sending but fizzled out; likely it resolved itself.

Consider trying the following in a Command Shell to verify if the certificate revocation list can be retrieved by copying and pasting the following:

curl http://crl.globalsign.com/gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl --output gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl && del gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl

Post the resulting output here.

As a temporary workaround use webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

When validating a certificate a check is made against a list of those revoked by the issuer and this failed resulting in the issue seen in curl and your email client. FYI a similar issue was raised last April here Email not sending but fizzled out; likely it resolved itself.

Consider trying the following in a Command Shell to verify if the certificate revocation list can be retrieved by copying and pasting the following:

curl http://crl.globalsign.com/gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl --output gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl && del gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl

Post the resulting output here.

As a temporary workaround use webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, here are the results of that command you sent me:

C:\Windows\system32>curl http://crl.globalsign.com/gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl --output gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl && del gsgccr3dvtlsca2020.crl
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 83306 100 83306 0 0 83306 0 0:00:01 --:--:-- 0:00:01 865k

I have been using webmail to access my emails but only my default account is receiving as it should, my secondary account is only getting mail spasmodically and does not allow me to send messages.

Best regards

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I had hoped it would show an issue with the download but it has not so am stumped for the moment; wonder if @ravenstar68 might have an idea where to go next with this CRL issue?

I hope so, I too am  stumped, still reading my mail online, getting no errors from outlook but will not download.

Best regards...

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you in a position to try accessing your email account via Outlook over a different network, i.e. mobile hotspot or different ISP?

No I'm afraid not I only have outlook set up on my machines at home.

Best Regards

Hi, I took your advice about using another network, so I loaded my email account onto outlook on my phone whilst at work, and everything works fine. I can download my emails & send & receive, weird. but my outlook on my PC & laptop are still the same.

Best regards.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Issue has been flagged to the forum team; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

Whilst waiting for the forum team to respond try the following:

• Quit Outlook if it is running
    • Open a Command Shell and enter the following command:

certutil -urlcache | findstr globslsign​

• then:

certutil -urlcache ocsp delete
certutil -urlcache crl delete​

• Start Outlook and sync
    • Return to Command Shell window and enter the following command:

certutil -urlcache | findstr globalsign​

• Post the output produced by the commands run in the Command Shell here taking care to redact any personal information

Hi Treaddie

Thanks for posting. 

If you can get the details from the command we can then reach out to the security team 🙂

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill