Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 51 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Sending Problems - IP Addresses

Yes - take it off the network and see if the packets stop.

However keep the monitor running to check for anything else as well.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 52 of 75
Flag for a moderator

OK.  Firestick removed.  Wireshark still running (showing 196 packets which were there before Firestick removal).  Will check back later.

bromham
Fibre optic
Message 53 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Excellent result - congratulations on your persistence.

As a matter of interest, had you ever jail-broken that Firestick or installed non-standard software on it? 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 54 of 75
Flag for a moderator

@bromham - I'd like to thank you for your help and for your involvement in this thread.  I've been trying to figure out a way of sniffing network traffic from multiple devices with the aim of getting to the bottom of these CSS listings.

We have at least one possible candidate now.  Needless to say it's hardly the only one.

@Finnegan You need to review what's on that Fire Stick - or at the very least do a factory restore and be VERY careful about what is installed on it going forward.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 55 of 75
Flag for a moderator

I've now identified one of the Firesticks as being the major culprit and it's been removed until we can clean it up.  It'll mean putting it back on until we do a reset to factory settings.  To answer bromham, yes, some non-standard software has been installed on it (it wasn't me Guv!).  However a second culprit (but not as prolific) has been identified as the Sony smart TV that had the Firestick attached.  We'll also clear that out of newer apps and I'll monitor them over the next week or so with Wireshark to see whether they have been fully rehabilitated.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.  I really appreciated all the hand-holding.

Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 56 of 75
Flag for a moderator

A residual question:

On the Wireshark output how can I tell what time the packets were being sent?

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 57 of 75
Flag for a moderator

It depends on the operating system being used, whether you're displaying live capture and a few other considerations.

On Windows with a live capture, it's probably displaying seconds since the capture started to a microsecond resolution, so a value of "145.465986" is 145 seconds after it started plus 465986  microseconds.  Further details here.

Finnegan
Dialled in
Message 58 of 75
Flag for a moderator

Thank you bronham - I've changed the format of the date settings in View as it might hurt my brain trying to convert from the nanoseconds etc.

Another 2 questions -

All the 10 IP Addresses that were connected to my hotspot had 192.168.137.nn but my own laptop has an address of 192.168.0.12 - why so different to all the others?

When should I mark helpful answer?

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 59 of 75
Flag for a moderator

There are two networks in use.  The first 192.168.0.x is the network connected to your VM hub.  The second 192.168.137.x is created by your hotspot for devices that connect to it - these are given 192.168.137.x addresses. The laptop sits between the two networks, has IP addresses on both networks and routes packets between them.

So a device that's connected to your hotspot and wants to send a packet to the Internet, first sends it to the laptop's 192.168.137.x address, the laptop remembers who sent it, replaces the sender's address with its own on the 192.168.0.x network and sends it onwards to the VM hub (which has an address of 192.168.0.1 and a public IP address)  The VM hub again remembers who sent it and replaces the sender's address with it's own public IP address, which is the only address seen by the Internet.  This process is known as NAT or Network Address Translation. The reply travels the same route with the VM hub and then the hotspot replacing the destination address with the address of the next hop in the chain until the reply reaches the device that send the original outbound packet.

I suggest marking one of marking Ravenstar's initial replies as the "helpful answer".

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 60 of 75
Flag for a moderator

@Finnegan 

Bromham is quite right.  The best way to look at what's happening is that when you set up the hotspot, your computer is acting as a NAT router itself.

So just like the Superhub has two interfaces  with a public IP and a private IP - so to does your PC

It has the main wifi IP 192.168.0.12 which is the equivalent to the public IP on the Supperhub, and then it has a Virtual wifi interface I wouldn't be surprised if the IP on that side is 192.168.137.1 which all your other wireless devices connect to using a 192.168.137.x  IP

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos