cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Problems

Martin5243
Tuning in

I have not been able to send or receive emails since 1 July 2021 BUT, today I managed to send an email from my VM account to my Gmail account but I still can't receive emails. I have used 3 MacPro's and my iPhone and can't receive emails on any of them.

Thanks in advance

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Martin5243 wrote:

I have not been able to send or receive emails since 1 July 2021 BUT, today I managed to send an email from my VM account to my Gmail account but I still can't receive emails. I have used 3 MacPro's and my iPhone and can't receive emails on any of them.

So are you using the VM Webmail service on their website (here's a link to it  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   ) to send and receive the emails from your VM email address  or are you using various third party email apps on your devices to manage your email accounts?

If you are using email apps, what error messages are they showing when you try to send or receive the VM emails? Also, can you try to sign in to the VM Webmail service using the above link and checking whether  emails that have been sent to your VM email address but not picked up by the email apps are actually there?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Martin5243 wrote:

So are you using the VM Webmail service on their website (here's a link to it  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   ) to send and receive the emails from your VM email address  or are you using various third party email apps on your devices to manage your email accounts?

If you are using email apps, what error messages are they showing when you try to send or receive the VM emails? Also, can you try to sign in to the VM Webmail service using the above link and checking whether  emails that have been sent to your VM email address but not picked up by the email apps are actually there?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Many thanks for getting back to me. I am using the VM Website, no third party involved and it's a 'blueyonder' email address. I know that there has been a few outages in the Basildon/Pitsea area.

I have tried to log into VM mail2 which is the one I have been using for about the last 20yrs approx and it still only shows my last received email on Thursday 1 July 2021

Martin

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'd go into settings.  Click the 3 lines on the top right of the menu.

Check to see if any filter rules have been added.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hi Tim and thank you. I have already done that and it does not show any settings that I need like IMAP etc.

I did read that if you use VM from their website, then all the settings are changed from there and I have tried everything I can think of to find the IMAP settings but cannot find them. What makes me think the problem is at VM website is I can understand one of my computers having a problem but not 3 laptops, 1 iMac and my iPhone and all at the same time 1st July 2021.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you check the Filter settings to see if any filters have been added?

One trick used by hackers is to add filters to hide/redirect password reset emails.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I cannot find any filters on my laptops. I have just started up my old MacBook Pro that I used to use as back up and that had the same problems. So I am even more convinced that the problem is at VM's end.

Martin5243
Tuning in

I have just spoken to a human being at VM and they say that the problem is due to outages that are ongoing in the area. Now he said that it is stopping me from receiving emails and I asked why is it then that I can send an email but not receive them and his answer was that I can upload ok but the download signal is very very weak.

Can someone verify that this a valued answer please.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ModTeam 

Seriously - Can you please tell your customer service teams to stop spouting rubbish!!

@Martin5243 The only problem with the CS agents theory is that when you log in to webmail the date the last mail received is 1st July as well.  Those servers WOULD NOT be affected by a local outage in your area.  Some VM agents have an annoying habit of coming out with guff like this.

If you've not had any mail since 1st July then here are possible scenario's

1.  No one's sent you any mail since 1st July - (Extremely doubtfull)
2.  Virgin's Mail exchangers have been down since 1st July - (Even more doubtful)
3. Someone's hacked into your webmail and added filters to redirect or bounce your mail.

Why is 2 Even more doubtful than 1?  Because the same mail exchangers handle ALL inbound mail for ALL Virgin Media email domains.  So if there was a fault here, the Forum would be flooded with people who haven't received mail since July 1st.

Here's how to add Filters in webmail:  You can use the advice in here to see if any have been added.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-using-filters

Tim

Thanks Tim, I knew he was talking rubbish and when he supposedly went to check on the system I said to myself 'he's probably put me on hold and is sitting their drinking his tea/coffee.

I do change my passwords regularly and the reason I want to keep this email address is that I've had it since I started with VM and the vmd in my address are the initials of my late wife and I, so its got great sentimental value as well.

I will take a look at the link you have sent me.

Thank you again Tim