cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Locked

bully9
Dialled in

I'm starting yet another new thread on this matter because i've been asked not to "piggy-back".

I have seen many answers to this problem but they all seem to entail logging in to my email first, which of course i am unable to do. So, is there something i can do or do i have to wait the "maximum 5 working days" (as i have been told by a "supervisor" on the phone) before virgin sort out their problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Provided that you are a current VM broadband customer you should be able to sign into you My Virgin Media account and change the email password for the account that has been locked.  Follow these instructions:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

Wait at least 30 minutes for the password change to percolate through the severs before trying to log into the email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Provided that you are a current VM broadband customer you should be able to sign into you My Virgin Media account and change the email password for the account that has been locked.  Follow these instructions:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

Wait at least 30 minutes for the password change to percolate through the severs before trying to log into the email address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Done that. But when i click on "Email" on My Virgin Media homepage, it doesn't take me to a signing-in page. It just takes me to a page that looks like my email account but is completely empty.

EDIT: I clicked on my old bookmark that took me straight to my sign in page and it now seems to be working. So it seems that i was given a complete load of bull by the people i spoke to on the phone.

This is the second time i've been locked out and I'm convinced that it's to do with a VPN that i use. I try not to log in when i'm using it but i do forget. It doesn't seem to affect other email addresses i have. Just the shower at Virgin.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for the update @bully9, and we're pleased to hear you've been able to regain access to the E-Mail account

Do feel free to report back to this thread if you have any further issues with the account

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks. So far so good, but without knowing why it happened i'm not optimistic about it not re-occurring (again). The information offered by the CS reps at virgin was not only unhelpful, it was utterly wrong. And despite my protests of disbelief, it was repeated many times by both the rep and her supervisor. So it's not even worth asking their advice; if i hadn't found my way here i'd still be waiting another 4 working days for my email to be unlocked. Ha-ha.

So 10/10 for the forum and 0/10 for VirginMedia

Just for the record, i had exactly the same problem again today. Luckily because of this earlier experience i didn't waste an hour being given wrong information by CS on this occassion. But it's still a PITA and it's time  VM got their **** together and sorted this out. Don't they ever read this forum?

It just gets better. A full 24 hours after fixing the problem, today i get an email saying:

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

It is important that you:

a. Do a full virus scan on your device with up-to-date anti-virus software
b. Reset your password to something new, unique to this account and secure.

After resetting your password, your mailbox will automatically be unlocked after 15 minutes.

Presumably this is just a late communication from VM and i need do nothing. Or have they found yet another way to screw me around?

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Bully9, 

Thank you for your update on this, do you still have access to your email following this communication from our team?

Zoie

Yes. I didn't change my password again after receiving it and my email seems to be working OK. Thanks for taking an interest. I understand the need for security, but all these "false positives" are becoming a real pain. There's no indication from VM what's causing it, so it's not possible to modify anything i'm doing to ameliorate matters. I just hope this "fix" continues to work until VM get on top of the problem.

Thank you for letting us know @bully9.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused and we will pass this feedback to the relevant teams for improvement.

However, please do continue to monitor your mailbox and let us know if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs