Menu
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Re: Single Multi-Spam filter

Hi Canarytops1

This is the second time I've replied to this, so if my first response shows up, I'll try to delete one of them. You can't stop the emails coming in, but if you've set up the Spam filter properly, any emails from |@aldi.com (or whatever the last bit if the email address is) should be hitting your Spam folder. Just keep adding the variations, eg |@a.aldi.com, or |b.aldi.com etc to your offenders list. According to earlier replies in this chain, such Spam emails should dry up or at least slow down and hit your Spam folder first. Since I set up mine, I definitely get fewer Spam emails to my Inbox, and very few hit my Spam folder, so it does work. Also, if you haven't used up your 250 Blacklist limit, you could just keep adding full email address to the Blacklist list until you hit the limit. VM won't increase this 250 limit as they don't really think there's a Spam/phishing issue, as "not enough VM email customers complain" (in writing to the Newcastle office, not by phone to the India call centre no-help desk). Hope this helps. Good luck and don't forget to complain to VM - it's the only way we'll get them to take Spam and phishing emails seriously.  

On our wavelength
Message 32 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi thsc04646, thanks for your reply (and sorry if I'm stretching your patience). I did initially create this thread and have utilised the suggestions herein successfully until recently, where as I explained, there doesn't appear to be any "constant" In terms of "variations" to be added to the filters, that is I would be closing the gate after the horse had bolted for each occurrence. So I was hoping there might be some other part of the email headers that could be added to some filter or other ?

Fibre optic
Message 33 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Canarytops1

There's one other filter I have that uses "Subject" as the Condition (rather than "From"). I can't confirm this will fix your alleged Aldi spam, but it's worth a try. Add variations of the (Aldi) subject to your separated Regex list as with the other filter......

SmartSelect_20200714-084611_Brave.jpg

On our wavelength
Message 34 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Thanks boothy99, will give that a go 😉

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I have been getting quite a few spam emails from  addresses  ending in .eu. I am wondering if this should be blocked.

I have reported all my spam to Spamcop.net

On our wavelength
Message 36 of 57
Flag for a moderator

My "new" cases are of that nature but I thought it was a bit extreme to block them, but thinking about it "genuine" addresses ought to be country specific (ie .de, .fr etc) so perhaps you're right ?

On our wavelength
Message 37 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a plan Canarytops.

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 38 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi Canarytops
You're not stretching my patience - sorry if I gave this impression. I spent a while typing a reply to your query but VM appear to have lost it, hence my second attempt and comment...Anyway, I have also been getting lots of Spam from .eu email addresses, and they all get added to the sender Regex. I will add the second filter suggested above too. One small PS...my 250 blacklisted email list was filled up years ago but 'a technical issue' with my Blueyonder email address (not my doing) resulted in VM removing all 250 blacklisted email addresses without telling me or warning me. I have started filling it up again, but thankfully, I'm not being bombarded with emails from the previously blacklisted emailers. Just a thought...
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 57
Flag for a moderator

Hi thsc04646,

No problems, I'm a bit paranoid about causing offence on forums ;-). Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 40 of 57
Flag for a moderator

I'm also being spammed with .eu email. Each message always contains an image as the body, with a broken english sentence on how to unsubscribe from a newsletter at the bottom.

I can't find any guidance on the syntax of the regex function of the spam filter and whether or not it reads emails like a human or looks at the raw source. I'm thinking along the lines of having a regex filter that matches body content that contains a http url with .eu. The messages don't use https links.

Creating a regex filter for url's domains is useless because the domain is different every time.

http:\/\/[-a-zA-Z0-9@:%._\+~#=]{1,256}\.eu\/[a-zA-Z0-9]+

0 Kudos