Menu
seagullnshark
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Email Connection timed out ?

Hi, I've started having an issue with email today, keep getting 'connection timed out - try reloading' message when accessing email thru Chrome. No apparent problem when logging in thru IE though ? Any thoughts anyone ? Thanks

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email Connection timed out ?

I'm having the same problem today when trying to access VM's webmail using Chrome (haven't tried IE) but my email client Windows Live Mail connects just fine.  Something is broken again   Smiley Sad

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A

Can you take a look into this?

Here's what I know.

1. I normally access web mail through Chrome.
  2. Access for the past few days has been really slow.
  3. Coupled with the slow access some mails have been reporting that they are only able to be viewed in plain text in a yellow warning on the email.  While others seem to load the HTML just fine even though it takes a time to load.
  4. Having tried with Microsoft Edge the mail loaded extremely quickly with no delays.

However this is not simply a browser compatibility issue.

I reasoned that one possibility that the mail opened quickly in Microsoft Edge was that there were no cookies for the Virgin Media mail website stored in the browser.

With that in mind I did the following.

Opened Chrome and went to Settings->Content Settings->Cookies->All Cookies and Site Data

(Direct link for those viewing this in Chrome: chrome://settings/siteData?search=content)

In the search field I put virginmedia.com as below:

chromecook.PNG

I then clicked remove all shown.

Once I tried this I went back into webmail - I had to log in of course.

For me Webmail became much more responsive once the cookies were removed.  Where before it used to take at least 15-20 seconds before a mail would come up in the reading pane when clicked, it now comes up almost immediately.

So the question we need to ask is:

If it is Cookies that are slowing down webmail access:

1. Which particular cookies are involved?
  2. Why are the cookies causing the mail access to become slow.
  3. What can be done to remedy the issue.

I would at the moment be grateful if anyone else using Chrome can try what I've done and see if it helps them.  Please try and access the webmail service just before and just after clearing the cookies.

At the moment I am a sample size of 1 which is not a very good sample.  The more evidence we can gather - the better it will be.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I followed in your footsteps Tim and removed cookies from Chrome.  I can still get into My Virgin Media but when I click on email I am now getting 'Connection Error. The server is not available right now'  I've retried several times ... same message.

My email client still accessing fine.

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

I followed in your footsteps Tim and removed cookies.  I can still get into My Virgin Media but when I click on email I am now getting 'Connection Error. The server is not available right now'  I've retried several times ... same message.

That's odd - removing cookies shouldn't cause a connection error like that.

Tim

Edit I've just repeated the process and I'm looking at my blueyonder mail right now.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I've rebooted my PC and can now access webmail via My Virgin Media.  Whether VM rebooted something at the same time as me ... ???

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You must be entering the Twilight Zone.

Or could it be the Outer Limits?

Tim

0 Kudos
me12
Joining in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  This worked for me too - after VM told me my laptop was faulty (because I had no problem accessing through my phone).  Wasted 1/2 hour on phone to VM tecnical dept., who then cut the call off.  Wasted another 1/2 hour when I phoned back to be told it was my laptop - then came across your post.  All incoming e-mail messages missing from when I logged out last night until I followed your solution this afternoon - expect they are floating round in cyberspace never to be seen again Smiley Sad

LoriBlue
Just joined
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just tried the process you suggested via chrome and removed all cookies but sadly it has made no difference. My webmail has been painfully slow for days and today no access at all.

Help!!!

0 Kudos
LoriBlue
Just joined
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Have just gone in via a different browser and its fine - hurray! Surely it must be a browser compatability issue?

0 Kudos