cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Authentication issues

cakesmith83
On our wavelength

My ntlworld.com email addresses are not receiving mail today :-

Unable to send or receive messages for the Ntlworld (nnnnnn) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3

Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I have changed nothing. Using Live mail on Windows 10.

Webmail works O.K..

Any ideas?

37 REPLIES 37

Unfortunately, I cannot access my PC at the moment ; I shall have to leave it until tomorrow before I can try your suggestions....

Thanks for your input 🙂

====== edit ====

tried the 'curl' (imap) on my laptop (don't know how to copy the message from CMD prompt), but I get a message about several folders who seem to have 

'No Children'

Now going to try the same, but using Curl POP3

As you may have seen from my post with the same issue, it is now solved. Graham was correct, start with the basics, which in my case was to change from POPntlworld to POP3virgin media. Follow directions as per sticky, but if you have more than 1 affected email address, do one at a time, and check each time. As per my post a big thank you to Graham and I think the 'sticky' maker, who I think was Ravenstar.

this is what I get (using my laptop) when i tried the CURL command using the POP3

227 73242
228 11508
229 105743
230 121912
231 48192
232 81503
233 121846
234 48193
235 2641
236 4864
237 35037
========

edited list for brevity

=========
517 134395
518 59228
519 123072
520 3546
521 438844
522 14758
523 69016
524 13443

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@albob 

Don't worry about the NoChildren stuff.  It's just a way of saying that a particular IMAP folder has no sub folders.  It means you've logged in fine.

Similarly the lists of numbers show you're logged in to the POP3 server.  Update your settings.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

and this is what i get with CURL on IMap

C:\WINDOWS\system32>curl imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u 
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Trash) "/" Trash
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \Marked \Junk) "/" Spam
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "Junk Email"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Sent) "/" Sent
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "Junk E-mail"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "Deleted Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "Sent Items"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked \Drafts) "/" Drafts
* LIST (\HasNoChildren \UnMarked) "/" "golf lesson notes"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" INBOX

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Tim,

Roger to that : will leave updating the settings until tomorrow

Well I have learnt something tonight -- how to copy text from the command prompt window 🙂 🙂 

I am going to edit my other post to get rid of that great spiel of numbers !!

Many thanks for your input...

albob when I updated my settings, I didn't even break a sweat, which is a first! Just follow each step as per the sticky. Many thanks for your input on my thread.

@ravenstar68

Just putting this to bed.

This AM I updated my server settings to those recommended - Still getting asked for Password !!

Then had a 'close' look at my server settings...

In account properties/servers - I have been using the 'recent:emailaddress' as part of my Email username.

(Historically usage because I wanted to download my emails to two computers)

I took that out - and Voila! ; wasn't asked for password (windows live then commenced to download 2500 duplicate messages!! - but, hey-ho )

Still one unanswered question though -- my email client was working fine with the 'recent' tag up until yesterday !??!!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The recent: tag was a holdover from gmail days.  It has no function on practically every other POP3 server.  Technically it wasn't needed either.  Although you did previously have to set the client to leave the mails on the server.

AFAIK VM quietly stripped out the recent: tag on login in order to make things easier for users.

@ModTeam Can we check if this has been stopped.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I've updated my settings as suggested and all seems OK.

I kept the 'recent' email address though - can I safely remove this if it's an anachronism?

Still not sure why outdated settings suddenly stopped working!