cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Authentication issues

cakesmith83
On our wavelength

My ntlworld.com email addresses are not receiving mail today :-

Unable to send or receive messages for the Ntlworld (nnnnnn) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3

Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I have changed nothing. Using Live mail on Windows 10.

Webmail works O.K..

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

albob
Superfast
You are not alone (see my posts further up the forum)

My windows live mail (pop3) is asking me to enter a password ; I have changed nothing.

Suspect it is a problem at Virgin Media end ??

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

37 REPLIES 37

albob
Superfast
You are not alone (see my posts further up the forum)

My windows live mail (pop3) is asking me to enter a password ; I have changed nothing.

Suspect it is a problem at Virgin Media end ??

cakesmith83
On our wavelength

I'm guessing this is a POP3 issue........is there a simple fix out there?

"..I'm guessing this is a POP3 issue..."

Yes, as I said in the other thread, my laptop (imap) is receiving emails (same email address) fine..

Quick solution? - think we need advice from Virgin Media!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@cakesmith83 wrote:

My ntlworld.com email addresses are not receiving mail today :-

Unable to send or receive messages for the Ntlworld (nnnnnn) account. An incorrect password was entered. The next time you send or receive messages, you'll be asked to enter your user name and password for this account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed.
Server: 'pop.ntlworld.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC92
Protocol: POP3

Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

I have changed nothing. Using Live mail on Windows 10.

Webmail works O.K..

Any ideas?

The settings you are using are insecure and several years out of date.

The recommended settings can be found here.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

If you are still experiencing issues after updating your settings post back here 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Graham  -- three threads at the top of the forum all complaining that they can not access their emails. My settings were working yesterday, today they are not, which give me the impression that something has changed at the server end ??

Can't access my PC at the moment, but will check my pop3 settings later and reply

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, there may be a wider issue but it is worth starting with the basics.

The settings being used by the OP are insecure due to the port settings being used.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@albob 

I agree with Graham, it's always best to go back to basics first rather than jut assume that the server is at fault:

You may not realise that pop.ntlworld.com, pop3.blueyonder.co.uk, pop.virgin.net and pop3.virginmedia.com are all gateways to the same set of dovecot servers, with the first 3 allowing insecure connections to the server, as well as more secure settings.

This means that EVERY time you connect using ports 110 - your username and password is passed across the net in clear text.  It's trivial then for eavesdroppers to capture them for nefarious ends.

Doing a connection test myself using pop3.virginmedia.com

C:\Users\timdu>curl pop3s://pop3.virginmedia.com -u t*********************k:<password>
1 69623
2 97756
242 24699
243 38002
244 35614

Shows that there is nothing wrong with the server itself. (I've masked my email address and my real password)

The numbers down below are down to curl sending a list command after logging in using my email address and password.  This shows the POP3 message number and the size of the associated message.  I've also abbreviated the list as well.

The ERR - Authentication Failed message means just that - that the username and password did not match.

Can you log in using webmail?

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

"Can you log in using webmail?"

Yes - webmail works fine, as does Windows Live on my Laptop (using IMAP there)

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you try opening a CMD window by typing CMD into the search bar and pressing enter and entering the following command

curl pop3s://pop3.virginmedia.com -u youraddress@ntlworld.com:yourpassword

Note the : between the email address and password is required.

DON'T post your email address or password on here.

Tim

Edit also try the same username and password in the following command

curl imaps://imap.virginmedia.com -u youraddress@ntlworld.com:yourpassword

I know you said IMAP is working but humour me.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more