cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emai setup

rodfletch
Joining in

Could anyone help me with setting up a blueyonder email account on Windows 10 Mail app. Windows update messed it all up so I deleted and set up again but it tells me my settings are out of date. Can anyone tell me the sequence and settings please ? Would be very grateful.

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi rodfletch,

have you tried following the instructions here? virgin-media-mail-update-settings-in-windows-10 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I tried twice. Each time it says ‘your account was set up successfully’. Then I get a windows alert saying   ‘ your blueyonder settings are out of day’. Then across the top of the Mail page I get a message saying ‘We couldn’t access this account- Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync this device.’

Strange thing I get - my password is 10 characters long. When I go to the panel to sync settings there is a password in there which is 16 characters long  !

Any ideas ? Appreciate your help.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rodfletch wrote:

Any ideas ?

Can you access the email account if you sign in to it using the VM Webmail service on the VM website? Try doing that from here: https://mail2.virginmedia.com/    

If you get an error message and cannot access the account, then it would seem there is a problem with your VM email account itself rather than with the Mail App.

On the other hand ,if you can access the Webmail account using the password you have used when setting up the Mail App then it would seem the problem is with one of your settings in the Mail App.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, yes I go straight in via webmail, no problem. When following your original suggestion I substituted blueyonder.co.uk for the ntlworld.com in the instructions, I assume that was right ? Also , how do I give the mail app permission to sync ? 
I appreciate your time, thanks.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@rodfletch wrote:

When following your original suggestion I substituted blueyonder.co.uk for the ntlworld.com in the instructions, I assume that was right ?

Actually, no.  😉

I think you have misunderstood those instructions. 

Since 2017 Virgin Media have been saying that all VM email accounts, (including Ntlworld and Blueyonder) should be using the virginmedia.com servers. The instructions @newapollo gave you are the instructions on how to change your settings from Ntlworld and Blueyonder  to Virginmedia.com.

Look at those instructions again and you will see the correct details are listed under the screen shots - for example:

If you use POP3:

Update Incoming email server to:

pop3.virginmedia.com

If you use IMAP:

• Update Incoming email server to:
    • imap.virginmedia.com  

Then:

• Update Outgoing (SMTP) email server to:
    • smtp.virginmedia.com

Make sure the following are ticked:

• Outgoing server requires authentication
  • Use the same username and password for sending email
  • Require SSL for incoming email
  • Require SSL for outgoing email

You also ask " how do I give the mail app permission to sync ? "

If you look again at the instructions  you will see the final screen shot shows you:

sync options.png

Hope that all helps clarify things.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Many thanks for all your advice. I have managed to sort it now.

Hi @rodfletch,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you were having issues with your email setup. We are however glad our community were able to best help resolve this. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs