cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email hacked and password changed

Lindsaylouise
Joining in

We've had an account with virgin for 10+ years and the original email address my husband still uses.....@virginmedia.com

Over the years with busy schedules I've taken over renewing the account and my email now is linked to the account.

We have called several times asking for help and no one seems to understand the problem and just keep telling me they can't help as it's not on the account.

Please help we really need to retrieve this email address.

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lindsaylouise wrote:

We've had an account with virgin for 10+ years and the original email address my husband still uses.....@virginmedia.com

I've taken over renewing the account and my email now is linked to the account..

I am not sure if your saying it's your email account or your husband's that has been hacked and VM say is not on the account.

Whichever it is, you can easily check whether it is linked to your current VM broadband account:

• sign into the My Virgin Media account where you view your VM bills and package details
  • click on the "Account settings" tab
  • then click on the "Account details" tab
  • scroll down that page to "Manage other My Virgin Media Accounts" and click on that

You should now see a list of all the email accounts linked to your broadband account.

Is the hacked email account listed there? If not, then that's why VM staff said it's not on the account.

One of the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) can check this out for you. One of them will contact you via this thread hopefully tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on this thread and escalate it to them tomorrow pm.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply,

I don't think it's currently linked to out current account, as when we moved I reset everything up. 

But his email was never closed and was still very much in use. 

We can provide them with he old account details etc.

Surely as the domain "holder/owner" there should be able to access it or send a link so that we can take control back of it again. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Lindsaylouise 

The VM Forum Team are best placed to help you and one of he team should contact you via this thread hopefully tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you know what the password was for this problem account you can try to use the normal route to reset VM email passwords.

I'll paste that at the end of this post so give that a try while you are waiting for the team to contact you. Use the VM email address and password of the problem email account.

As I said that VM password reset process does not involve VM sending any email links.

Coenoby

To reset an email account password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

Virgin Media have recently made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps on your various devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you,

We have tried this, but all it keeps saying is we can't sign in with a virginmedia.com address because it may have been compromised or does not exist.

Like you said I just really need a VM forum team member, fingers crossed we hear soon because the tele communication team have been less than helpful 😢

Hi there @Lindsaylouise 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you on the team.

We are so sorry that this issue has happened regarding your email and thank you so much for your community team for their advise so far. 

I know that you have mentioned that this email is no longer linked to the account, can I ask when it was changed over? Email address that are no longer attached to an open and current account are deleted after 90 days, though this can sometimes take longer. 

Hi thanks for responding,

It's been a lot longer than 90 days we are at least 5+ years! 

We've an account continuously during this time, all that change was we moved house and we re opened the account in my name at the new address. 

Hi @Lindsaylouise 

Thanks for coming back to us. At the old address who was the account holder please? The reason I ask, we can try to help but need to speak to the account holder as it's an account holder only action.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

I believe I have always been the account holder, but I didn't use the email provided as I already had one I used regularly.

Hi @Lindsaylouise 

Thanks for coming back to us.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill