cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERROR MESSAGE VM603 or VM601

smithlink
Joining in

Please help an old bloke if you can.

I manage the email list for our members in a model aircraft flying club.

I generally have a contact list of about 54 members and have been sending messages and newsletters for years. Quite suddenly I am getting these error messages as I try to send and it also alludes to it being either too many names on sending list or spam. I dont think its either and have never encountered a problem in 20 years.

Oh I have also checked the SPAM folders both on my Motzilla Thunderbird email client and Virgin Media on line - No spam at all.

Please, please help me with a simple answer as I am pulling my hair out and have urgent email to send.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smithlink 

Well,I am an old bloke too but let's see if I can help.

Error messages VM601 and VM603 relate to two separate unconnected issues:

1) VM601 is the error VM report when you have exceeded the limit they set on the number of messages sent in an hour, They have limits in order to prevent VM email accounts from being used by spammers to send spam emails in bulk.

I am not sure of the actual limits VM set but the limits are lower if you are sending from an email client, such as Thunderbird than if you are sending direct from your VM Webmail account on the VM website.

I would expect once that limit is triggered that you would be blocked from sending emails for an hour but then the block would be lifted an you could start sending again.

I will just ask whether you are you getting error  VM501 rather than VM601? I ask that because I see that you say the error alludes to "too many names on sending list". That sounds more like error code - VM501 which is "too many recipients in an hour". That does seem more likely especially if you are sending emails to a large distribution list.

The fact is though that which ever error (501 or 601) you are getting  the same principle applies - wait a bit and you should be able to resend without problems.

2) VM603 is the error VM report when an outgoing email is flagged as spam by VM's outgoing spam filters. VM filter outgoing emails for spam in order to prevent the VM email servers being blacklisted as senders of spam.

So this error relates to an email you have tried to send, not one you have received, hence the lack of spam in your spam folders.

It is difficult to know what caused VM to flag that outgoing email as spam but for what it's worth you might like to consider these:

• The spam filters are updated regularly so you may find the problem is resolved in a day or so
  • If the email that generated an error includes a link to a website, try removing the link and resending it
  • If you have another (non VM) email address) try sending the email from that address.
  • Try saving the text of that email into a pdf file and sending that pdf as an attachment to a VM email.

You might like to post an extract from that error message, it will be something like:

" 552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) UmgUnJNIPau4XUmgVnrzf1"

The string of characters after the code may enable one of the forum team (VM employees who support this forum) to get the cause of the error identified for you but in the meantime I would try the above suggestions I made 😉.

I hope that makes sense.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@smithlink 

Well,I am an old bloke too but let's see if I can help.

Error messages VM601 and VM603 relate to two separate unconnected issues:

1) VM601 is the error VM report when you have exceeded the limit they set on the number of messages sent in an hour, They have limits in order to prevent VM email accounts from being used by spammers to send spam emails in bulk.

I am not sure of the actual limits VM set but the limits are lower if you are sending from an email client, such as Thunderbird than if you are sending direct from your VM Webmail account on the VM website.

I would expect once that limit is triggered that you would be blocked from sending emails for an hour but then the block would be lifted an you could start sending again.

I will just ask whether you are you getting error  VM501 rather than VM601? I ask that because I see that you say the error alludes to "too many names on sending list". That sounds more like error code - VM501 which is "too many recipients in an hour". That does seem more likely especially if you are sending emails to a large distribution list.

The fact is though that which ever error (501 or 601) you are getting  the same principle applies - wait a bit and you should be able to resend without problems.

2) VM603 is the error VM report when an outgoing email is flagged as spam by VM's outgoing spam filters. VM filter outgoing emails for spam in order to prevent the VM email servers being blacklisted as senders of spam.

So this error relates to an email you have tried to send, not one you have received, hence the lack of spam in your spam folders.

It is difficult to know what caused VM to flag that outgoing email as spam but for what it's worth you might like to consider these:

• The spam filters are updated regularly so you may find the problem is resolved in a day or so
  • If the email that generated an error includes a link to a website, try removing the link and resending it
  • If you have another (non VM) email address) try sending the email from that address.
  • Try saving the text of that email into a pdf file and sending that pdf as an attachment to a VM email.

You might like to post an extract from that error message, it will be something like:

" 552 5.7.0 SPAM Content Found (VM603) UmgUnJNIPau4XUmgVnrzf1"

The string of characters after the code may enable one of the forum team (VM employees who support this forum) to get the cause of the error identified for you but in the meantime I would try the above suggestions I made 😉.

I hope that makes sense.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Coenoby,

Many thanks for the advice.

I have to say that is very helpful and you may be correct in saying its VM501as one of the messages did mention 'too many recipients'. I'll have a check of the things you suggest and hope that the problem can be resolved by time (time is a great healer).  I'll get back to you when I find out what it is but thanks everso.

smithlink.

Hi smithlink

Thanks for posting and apologies for the email issue. 

Did you try out Coenoby's suggestion (thanks Coebnoby)

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi john,
Many thanks for the contact.
I have not had a chance to try out all of Coebnoby suggestions yet as I have been away.
however, I have monitored my email sending as of tonight and so fay (fingers crossed) all appears to be ok.
Many thanks to Cobnoby and yourself and I will continue and let you know if there is a further problem.
Many thanks to you both again.

Great to hear smithlink 🙂

Thanks for letting us know.

Alex_Rm

Hello again,
Following my previous problem in sending out club emails, I was assured that this had been resolved. However, I now have 3 more failed attempts at sending. The email only has a small pdf attachment and the text reads as below in italics.
I have tried the other remedies suggested with no luck.
Can anybody help resolve this problem as I have 50 club members waiting for information and I dont want to send out the email 50 times.

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  SPAM Content Found (VM603) xs8bn4xT345FHxs8bnTeG9. Please check the message and try again.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  SPAM Content Found (VM603) yAX7nXKhevA6EyAX7neg1n. Please check the message and try again.

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  SPAM Content Found (VM603) yAZHnZ4en2CkpyAZInF7ui. Please check the message and try again.

Hello again, Please find attached the May / June issue of the newsletter.
I hope you enjoy, have a read and any thing you would like to contribute will always be welcome.

Hi smithlink, 

Thanks for coming back to us in the Community. I'm sorry to hear the spam filter warning is coming up again when trying to send the mails. 

Just out of interest, when sending to a single email address does the email go through successfully? If so try breaking down the number of recipients so if you have a total of 50, maybe try 2 emails with 25 recipients instead. 

Are you using the VM webmail to send the mail or using a client? 

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,

I can send single emails without a problem and have just issued the newsletter by sending one email and then forwarding that email to another 50 odd members individual which took about 45 mins. As you suggest, the next time I need to send out information I will try to break down the number - thanks.

I am running through an email client Thunderbird.

Thanks for your help.

Smithlink.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Smithlink,

Thank you for trying the above advice, do you have an update on this?

How are the emails sending?

Zoie