cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EMail Address has been hacked - undelete email account

JohnH4
Tuning in

I have received lots of phone call calls from friends today informing me that account has been hacked. Due to my lack of knowledge I deleted my email account, Please help me to get back on to email

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnH4 wrote:

I have no Idea as to what to do next,  

You  say "I must have deleted the account from the system" so there now seems an element of doubt about whether you have deleted the account at all. 

So the basic question is what makes you think you have deleted the account?

Reading through this thread you have still not responded to the question I raised in my first post to clarify how you deleted the email account. Did you:

1. delete it from the VM website via your My Virgin Media account - or
  2. merely delete the email settings from your app or email client software

That information is key because if the answer is 1) then the email account is irrecoverable.

if it was  2) then the account itself has not actually been deleted and you can regain access to it by simply setting it up again in that app or client.

Once a forum team member (such as @Ashleigh_C ) is advised of how you think you deleted the account they can advise you where you stand with that email account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnH4 wrote:

Please help me to get back on to email

So did you delete the email account from the Virgin Media website or did you just delete it from the email app on your phone or an email client such as Microsoft Outllook or Mail that you use to manage your emails?

If you deleted it from the VM website via your My Virgin Media account using a screen like this:

delete email account.png

If so, you have deleted the account or the emails it held for good.

However, if you simply deleted it from your app or email client software then you never deleted the email account at all. You just deleted its settings from that software. In that case you can simply set it up again in that app or client.

Post back to clarify that.

Bear in mind that just because your friends received an email that appeared to come from you it did not necessarily mean that your email account had been hacked. It is very easy for a scammer or spammer to send an email that appears to come from you simply by spoofing (falsifying) your address. Without more details about those emails it is impossible to know exactly what happened.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @JohnH4 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums! 

I'm so sorry to hear that you have faced this issue and a big thank you to @coenoby for their help and guidance on this issue. 

Are you able to confirm what has happened per their last post? 

Thank you. 

ModTeam

Hi @JohnH4,

We’re aware that a small number of customers reported that they had received an unexpected email regarding a password change. We have investigated the issue and locked affected accounts. To unlock an account customers should now contact our customer care team on 0345 454 1111 to set up a new password. We apologise for any disruption this has caused.

Kind regards,

Community Moderation Team

Sorry for the delay in replying. I think I must have deleted the account from the system. Initially, a meesag arrived showing a RED screen bearing the Virgin Logo. In my naivety & panic, I must have accepted the message, later, almost everyone in contacts list received a message saying I was in trouble & needed help & money or gift vouchers. After trying to contact Virgin help over a couple of days, I eventually reached an agent. The agent was most helpful & tolerant due to my lack of knowledge & I thought the problem was solved, unfortunately I am back to square one. I have no Idea as to what to do next,  

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JohnH4 wrote:

I have no Idea as to what to do next,  

You  say "I must have deleted the account from the system" so there now seems an element of doubt about whether you have deleted the account at all. 

So the basic question is what makes you think you have deleted the account?

Reading through this thread you have still not responded to the question I raised in my first post to clarify how you deleted the email account. Did you:

1. delete it from the VM website via your My Virgin Media account - or
  2. merely delete the email settings from your app or email client software

That information is key because if the answer is 1) then the email account is irrecoverable.

if it was  2) then the account itself has not actually been deleted and you can regain access to it by simply setting it up again in that app or client.

Once a forum team member (such as @Ashleigh_C ) is advised of how you think you deleted the account they can advise you where you stand with that email account.

Coenoby