Menu
Highlighted
Toubab
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

E-mails duplicating on downloading from the Web

For nearly 20 years I have used virgin mail with @ntlworld.com. I look at my e-mails first online at mail2.virginmedia.com and then, when sure they are safe, I download them onto my Windows 7 Pro computer using Outlook 2010. This has never been any problem, but in the last few weeks, single e-mails have been duplicating themselves into 2 or even 3 identical copies when arriving in my Outlook programme. This is only happening to Virgin e-mails .. all other e-mails from other different sources are downloading and arriving as normal. Can you tell me why and how to stop this happening please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: E-mails duplicating on downloading from the Web

Are you by any chance using POP3.

There is a known flaw in the POP3 standard.  Occasionally a malformed mail may not download properly in this instance the connection sticks until it times out.  When this happens the connection is aborted meaning that the email client (Outlook in this case, but all POP3 clients are equally affected) doesn't update it's information about which mails have been downloaded.

If you look for the LAST downloaded mail.  and then open up webmail and use this information to find the mail that's "stuck" and delete it, the next time you open up Outlook, it should download everything and then update it's list properly.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Toubab
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks Tim for such a swift and useful answer.
Yes I am using POP3
However I am not sure about what information I am looking for when I look at the LAST downloaded mail.  And then when I open up webmail how to use this information to find the mail that's "stuck" and delete it.
Further directions and help are needed please.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Because emails tend to be arrive and be downloaded in roughly date order, what I would do is order by date in both Outlook and Webmail. (This is normally the default)

Look at the date and time of the  MOST RECENT duplicated mail, then find that on in webmail.  The next most recent is usually the mail that's stuck.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Toubab
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again .. I will give it a go .. Cheers T
0 Kudos