Menu
Nicolehayward
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

E mail syncing

Hi

I am running e mail on my samsung note 8, with virginmedia settings

I have virgin media e mail on my laptop.

I have trouble syncing my e mails - in the settings menu in IMAP folders on my laptop all folders are checked to sync.

the situation is this.

I recently deleted an e mail from from the inbox using my phone, thsi e mail i wanted to reinstate to the inbox. 

On my laptop this deleted e mail was no where to be seen but it was showing in the delted folder on my phone.

So on my phone I clicked move, and moved it to the inbox.

Now this e mail is not showing on either my phone or the laptop in any folder.

This was an urgent e mail from the ombudsman and this kind of situation happens all the time with folders and e mails not syncing .

Please help.

Nicole

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: E mail syncing

@Nicolehayward wrote:

On my laptop this deleted e mail was no where to be seen but it was showing in the delted folder on my phone.

This behaviour suggests your phone's email client is configured to store deleted message to a local folder instead of to the IMAP server's Trash folder. I am not familiar with the device in question but it is likely there is an option to set which folder is used to store deleted messages.

So on my phone I clicked move, and moved it to the inbox.

Now this e mail is not showing on either my phone or the laptop in any folder.

That is unexpected; even when using a local folder to store deleted messages. Have you tried:

• using your email client search function to try and located the missing message?
  • signing into webmail to see if the message can be seen there?
0 Kudos
Nicolehayward
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

All.folders are set to sync on the phone app and the webmail. When I delete on the phone app they go to to the same folder as on webmail.I have tested and tried this.

I have done a search on both devices for the e mail and it is simply not found - completely lost. It finds all messages from the same person previous to this e mail  but not this last one.

I have had this problem before when I moved some e mails from the inbox to to a folder I wanted them in and they simply disappeared. I move e mails to folders regularly so i know its not something I am doing wrong.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

To troubleshoot this issue it would be useful to know:

• are these message that subsequently disappear ever displayed with a strike-through, for example Lorem ipsum
  • whether the moved message that subsequently disappears is a specific issue to the phone, laptop, or webmail
  • which email clients are in use on the phone and laptop
  • is the issue reproducible consistently or is it intermittent
0 Kudos