cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail forwarding

dg_vm18
Joining in

Over the years I have set up a few e mail accounts and used them for different reasons so that I was not deluged with spam/ email in my main email box. I have these set up so that they catch spam and auto forward  genuine mail that gets into the inbox to the main email account. I am using the forward e mail facility provided within virgin e mail to forward these e mails to another virgin e mail address which is my main account. 

In order to read e mails on my phone I only have to set up and connect the one e mail address. 

Virgin has chosen to see this set up as "compromised" because I am forwarding e mails to another address and twice in the last few days blocked all the e mail accounts requiring password changes on all of them to recover, plus setting up the auto forwarding rules again. In addition I have had to change the passwords for all the accounts on my desktop e mail client and phone. To say the least this has been a pain !! especially as this has worked for years before without problem, and I fixed everything once and then it happened again. 

If you are allowed to forward e mails then why is this happening, and will it continue to happen ? Is there anything else I can do to revert to my previous setup without problem ?

E mail below 

Dear customer,

Recently we noticed suspicious activity on your Virgin Media email account, so as a security precaution we temporarily locked your mailbox.

Since then, you’ve successfully reset your password in order to unlock your account. We’re getting in touch to let you know why this happened and some further steps you should take to help you stay safe.

What happened?

An automatic forwarding rule was set up on this email account. This means that emails sent to your address have been forwarded on to a third-party address, giving them access to your emails. We believe it’s unlikely you set this up on purpose, so we have removed all rules and temporarily locked your mailbox as a precaution.

We’ve included an extract of the suspicious forwarding rule at the bottom of this email. It may look confusing, but all you need to do is take note of the date it was enabled; it’s important you review any emails received after this that may contain personal information, and, as a precaution, secure any online accounts that may be associated.

What should I do now?

Please take the steps below as soon as possible:

1. Check your antivirus software

We recommend you take this opportunity to check your antivirus software is up to date and run a full scan of your devices. Regular virus scans are essential for helping your devices to stay virus free. If you do not have antivirus software installed on your devices, we recommend you install it.

2. Update your online passwords

For added security, you should change the passwords for all your third party online accounts (for example online banking, retail and social media sites) in case they have been compromised due to email forwarding. For security reasons, please don’t use any passwords you’ve used before, or that you currently use elsewhere.

3. Reset any intentional forwarding rules

As a precaution, we’ve removed all forwarding rules from your account. So if there are any you do need set up, you’ll need to reset them.

For more information about security, please visit virginmedia.com/securityhub

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team

Watch out for phishing: Virgin Media never asks for personal information by email. Check out how to detect and prevent phishing and other security related information at virginmedia.com/securityhub

Ps – this is an automatic message. Emails to no-reply@virginmedia.com aren’t read or answered personally.

Sieve content
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Generated by OX Sieve Bundle on Fri Aug 06 21:47:26 UTC 2021

## Flag: autoforward|UniqueId:0|Rulename: autoforward

if true

{

redirect ( my redirect address was shown here ) 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dg_vm18 wrote:

Virgin has chosen to see this set up as "compromised" because I am forwarding e mails to another address and twice in the last few days blocked all the e mail accounts requiring password changes on all of them to recover, plus setting up the auto forwarding rules again. In addition I have had to change the passwords for all the accounts on my desktop e mail client and phone. To say the least this has been a pain !! especially as this has worked for years before without problem, and I fixed everything once and then it happened again. 

If you are allowed to forward e mails then why is this happening, and will it continue to happen ? Is there anything else I can do to revert to my previous setup without problem ?

You are not the first to raise this issue.

I have escalated this to the Forum Team tor raise this with the appropriate security team. It does seem that VM's attempts to protect email account holders from possible hacking attempts have become too zealous.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@dg_vm18 wrote:

You are not the first to raise this issue.

I have escalated this to the Forum Team tor raise this with the appropriate security team. It does seem that VM's attempts to protect email account holders from possible hacking attempts have become too zealous.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dg_vm18

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can take a closer look into this for you. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi, just curious -

When did you raise this previously .? 

My issue is now 2 weeks old, has also been raised with security team and I am still waiting for an update ( other than someone telling me they have raised it with Security and will come back when they get a reply) 

I am therefore still in the same situation, and managing by having migrated e mails to Non VM apps and non VM desktop software, which I should not have had to do in the first place . This has taken much time and effort to do to get round a problem of VM's making so I am not happy to say the least .

thanks 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ayisha_B @ModTeam 

Can we get an update for @dg_vm18 from the Security Team on this please?

Thanks

Coenoby

Hello,

I have sent a chaser to Internet Security for you @dg_vm18.

I am really sorry for the time taken to get a response from the team and we thank you for your patience. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs