cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail account blocked today

jack2411
Tuning in

Help,

My e mail account has today been blocked. I rang and was told there was no way the account could be accessed yet I am still receiving emails that are forwarded to another address.

I am desperate to get my e mails that are stored sent to me . I have previously been a virgin customer for 28 years and only left as you could not supply my new address. I am deeply upset by this.

Please help.

Jackie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When Virgin Media close email addresses it's often webmail access which is first to go, but access using an email client may still be possible.

It may be worthwhile setting up an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, a.n.other) for access to your emails, but you'll have to be quick as this option, if it works, won't be available for long.

Also be aware that if the email client is configured for POP access, only mail in your inbox will be available. To access all your emails requires an IMAP configuration, with all folders set to synchronise.

Having said that, the error message you received indicates a connection issue to VM's mail server, so it may be too late already for this option to work.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jack2411
Tuning in

FuCustomer account number: [Removed]
Complaint reference: [Removed]
Date: 10/11/2021

Hello [Removed]

Thanks so much for the chat on 10/11/2021. We’re very happy to be able to resolve things for you.

Here's a quick recap

Your complaint was:
Cable > My Contract/Package > Unhappy with the offers available

And here’s what we agreed:
Technical > Technical help provided

We’ve now closed your complaint. Thanks again for bearing with us.
rther to earlier and adding insult to injury after logging a complaint I receive this;

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Hi,

I closed my account with Virgin 11/05/2021 as they could not supply my new address. I have been using the e mail up until yesterday when without warning it was blocked.

Despite contacting virgin all day I cannot regain access and need to get my e mails sent to me. Please can anyone help, I am desperate to get the e mails stored sent to me.

Jackie

I think you may be in for a disappointment, unless VM take pity on you and provide temporary access as a goodwill gesture.

Virgin Media have made it clear, both within their Terms and Conditions and their Acceptable Use Policy, exactly what happens to an email address when their broadband service is ended:

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/virginmedia/dotcom/en/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy...

Section 6:5:

It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

Also note the item below:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-how-to-cance

Item 3

If you cancel your services we’ll give you access to your Virgin Media Mail account for 90 days before we close it. This should provide enough time for you to save any contacts, emails and files you wish to keep.

It's also worth noting Section 1:4 of the Acceptable Use Policy

We may amend, modify or substitute this AUP at any time. Your continued use of any Virgin Media services after any such amendment, modification or substitution constitutes your acceptance of any new AUP. We recommend that you visit our website regularly to check for any updates or amendments to this AUP.

This item puts the onus on the customer to be aware of exactly what their contract contains and how any changes to that contract may affect them.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks, I had read that they can send you your e mails .

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jack2411 wrote:

Thanks, I had read that they can send you your e mails .

Either that was misread or misstated as Virgin Media do not offer such a service however whilst the email account was accessible the customer could have backed it up and / or migrated it over to another of their email accounts.

Are you able to provide more detail of what happens when blocked?

Have you tried following the advice here, Email accounts locked, mailbox unable, unable to access email account, malware letter?

Thanks , I have tried everything.

I realise I could have or should have backed up but, that is not helpful now is it.

The issue of now warning from Virgin has been raised several times on this forum and in the national press.

The e mails currently being sent to the address are being forwarded to another e mail address this would indicate that the account is still live somewhere and that someone could access it. Virgin just do not want to be that helpful, nevermind.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jack2411 wrote:

I realise I could have or should have backed up but, that is not helpful now is it.

No it is not and that was not the intention of correcting the misconception that Virgin Media could send copies of emails held in the account.

The e mails currently being sent to the address are being forwarded to another e mail address this would indicate that the account is still live somewhere and that someone could access it. Virgin just do not want to be that helpful, nevermind.

Issue has been flagged to the forum team however be aware that: a) it may take them a few hours / days to respond; b) heed the earlier point made by Sololobo concerning goodwill.

Thanks for your help. It has been a very frustrating day.

I just need the stored e mails forwarded , I know I should have done it but it has been a very busy time.

It was also quite a shock not to have virgin available where I have moved to and having to wait a month to get a new supplier.

Not the fault of Virgin I know, hopefully they will take pity on me.

Hi jack2411, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that we were unable to supply Virgin at the new address. Would you be able to check if the email is still valid by checking here. Please let us know the outcome. ^Chris