cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E mail access denied - CRITICAL

MarkKnight60
Joining in

My Virgin.net email account that I have been using daily for about 28 years was switched off Thursday 21st October without any warning.

I have spent over 4 hours talking to lots of remote different Virgin staff and been told that I cant have had a Virgin.net account, which is unusual as this is where Virgin have been sending my bills for the last 28 years!  No one has been able to help get access back and I am at my wits end!  I have all my client data and personal medical detail on there and need access to this.  Under GDPR Virgin have a legal responsibility to me to keep my data safe and give me access to it so that I can at least find this and move it somewhere else.

Talk Talk deny all involvement.

Please can I have access to the last 28 years of my life, even if just for 24 hours so I can retrieve important emails.

Kind regards,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @MarkKnight60,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry about your NTL email not working.

We found numbers of accounts which were still active but linked to a non active media account, as a rule they should have been closed 90 days after the media accounts are stopped.

We are unable to re activate the email on your old account due to this.

Regards, 

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

My e mail address was [Removed]  I did not have an NTL e mail address or account.  The last 28 years of my life is in that e mail address, as are all my contacts, including my work and business life including all of my customer contacts.  It also has my bank details and full medical history in its folders and it is is of the UTMOST importance that I have access to the account to at least have the opportunity to access and move stuff to a new account.  To close the account down without giving me, and undoubtedly others, the opportunity to move my personal and private details elsewhere, is quite frankly, appalling and to do this is probably in breach of the GDPR act. 

Some of the folders contain passwords to other accounts and my [Removed] account is where reminder and reactivation messages are sent, so I cannot even access numerous other accounts as I don't have access to the updates and reminder which are sent to my Virgin account.  Do you see how critical this to me as an individual and a businessman.  

Please advise why I was not given advance warning and advised that this account was to be closed.

How am I supposed to access at of the personal, including medical detail (I have had heart surgery) and business detail that is held within the account.

What has happened to my data.  Is it still on a server or in the 'cloud'

Are you able to provide access to me so that I can at least move critical and personal details on my business and personal life, which under GDPR and the 2018 Data Protection Act, you have a responsibility to do.

I look forward to hearing from someone as a matter of urgency as I need to access my medical detail in advance of a hospital appointment on the 2nd November.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @markknight,

Can you confirm if you have an active media account with us at the moment? Is the email that is not working registered to this media account if so?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

@MarkKnight60 what @Hayley_S needs to know is do you currently have a Virgin Media broadband subscription, (your mention of them sending you bills, would seem to indicate that you have something), it absolutely has to be a broadband subscription not a mobile phone subscription.

If the answer is 'yes' then if you log into the my.virginmedia.com website with your broadband account credentials, can you see the virgin.net email address listed?

If the answer is no then unfortunately, as mentioned above, the likelihood is that the email address, mailbox and all the mail within it has been deleted or is in the process of being so. This has been the case since (I believe) 2015, when the old virgin.net ADSL service was sold off to TalkTalk (hence the confusion about responsibility) and all viregin.net email users were told they must either take up a VM broadband subscription or were given a grace period of a year to make alternative arrangements before the mailboxes were deleted. 

The fact that VM have been somewhat lax in enforcing this hasn't helped but the fact remains that you have no right to any of the VM email addresses without a current broadband package.

John

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MarkKnight60 

This question:

What has happened to my data.  Is it still on a server or in the 'cloud'

The cloud is just a collective name for the conglomeration of servers and routers that make up the internet.  So your information will either be on a hard drive somewhere, unless it's been deleted.

The real question is - Was your virgin.net email address correctly associated with a Broadband account when you created one - Any addresses NOT linked to an active broadband account (dial up stopped being an option in 2013), is subject to deletion at any time.

If the account has been locked then it MAY (and I emphasize the may - as there are conditions that have to be met) be possible to do a Move and Transfer to link the mails to your current Virgin Media broadband account if you have one.  This however comes at the cost of any and all emails that are currently linked to that account.

I do urge you to respond to @Hayley_S 's questions so that she can see if this is possible for you.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks