Menu
Highlighted
mthurlow
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

E Mail address hacked

My email address has been hacked by someone in Russia. Facebook and Amazon have been hacked - now changed passwords but this morning had email from the Russian hacker demanding money with menaces-effectively blackmail. I want to cancel my email address immediately (ends@ntlworld.com - I have used an alternative to post here) but communication on this site is absolutely hopeless and actually speaking to a human being at Virgin has proved to be a nightmare.

How do we get the Forum team involved since from other postings they seem to be able to cancel an email address without telling us it will take 90 days? Am inclined to cancel the entire package we get from Virgin 

0 Kudos
pvmmvp
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: E Mail address hacked

+44 345 454 1111

Ring this number - you'll get through to Virgin support and get to speak to a hum(wo)man. Usual queueing times though I am afraid!

PS I've been hacked twice in the last 6 months (including my Amazon and eBay accounts). My Virgin accounts were blocked on both occasions with no notifications and I had to phone up to find out why. Amazon and eBay sent me automated messages suggesting my accounts may be subject to a hack. It gets worse - when I was politely but firmly questioning the Virgin customer service rep why their systems were so poor and why I wasn't sent a notification she disconnected the line! I had to make a 2nd call to get my passwords reset. I'm in the process of making a complaint now - well I rated them zero and they asked me for feedback!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Let us try and bring a bit more information to bear in this obviously distressing and worrying situation. This advice applies when you are VM customer of any of the three services TV, broadband and fixed line phone.

First of all the right thing to do when this kind of thing happens is to change the password for e-mail address concerned. Exactly the wrong this to do is to press for the address to be cancelled; and in all probability it will not be possible to do that. 

While it would be possible to cancel a secondary e-mail address; and you can always do this yourself by logging in to My Virginmedia it is NEVER possible to delete your primary e-mail address. You can't do it and neither can Virgin Media because that address is linked inextricably to all the services that allow you to control your account on-line.

But for any address that is hacked the first objective is to secure it against future hacking and then explore to see what damage has been done by the hackers in relation to that address and any third party web sites that it has been linked to. If you don't do this you will be vulnerable to dealing with any acts of dishonesty that may have been committed while the address was out of your control.

There is honestly no need to involve VM customer support with any of this provided you can still log into My Virginmedia and use the services there to manage your e-mail addresses.  There is some excellent advice in this helpful to make sure that all your e-mail addresses are secure at present and can be made secure.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

and VM also have an on-line section for security advice here:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

If you want to talk to VM customer services and have a VM mobile or VM landline then use 150 and select broadband faults.  You will need to let the service check complete and then phone back a few minutes later to connect to a human being.  These calls are free.

How did the hackers get your e-mail address and passwords?  You need to consider that urgently and prevent it happening again. The most common cause is shared passwords used on several sites or straightforward credential theft form sites which have been hacked. Search the web for "email pwned" and you'll get the advice you need to prevent this happening again. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@mthurlow wrote:

⋮… but this morning had email from the Russian hacker demanding money with menaces-effectively blackmail.

Is this the scam where miscreants quote an old or current password within the email in an attempt to validate the threat?

FYIActionFraud — Alert: Cyber criminals send victims their own passwords in new sextortion scam

mthurlow
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

yes exactly so with demand for bitcoin.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just ignore it but If you do have concerns speak with ActionFraud.

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi mthurlow,

I've located your account and checked the logs for the associated email address.

Mail log data, on the 25th & 26th, indicates unsuccessful authentication attempts from a number of different offnet IP addresses originating from Russia, Sri Lanka, Singapore etc.

The only successful authentication attempts since then have originated from your WAN IP, so I suspect that older and not current credentials may have been compromised.

Please follow the advice offered by both Howard and 用心棒.

Our help pages have just been updated, the up-to-date links are:

And please do report it to Action Fraud.

Kind regards,

Jen
Forum Team