cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Emails into Outlook

Jeffberg01
On our wavelength
  1. I am experiencing download problems into Outlook but can receive them in Gmail (online).  I can see them in the online VM email client but they show as unread and no matter what I try they do not download into Outlook – marking as read, then as unread.
  2. This happens particularly to Emails that appear to originate as distribution lists.  However, if I forward them onto the VM account from Gmail, and strip out the header, they are received and then downloadable by Outlook.
  3. I am also receiving duplicate copies of the same Email in the VM client.
  4. I am also getting a continuous warning about Autoforwarding. When I click on this and ok it , it will come again next time I login.
41 REPLIES 41

Morning Jeffberg01

To confirm, have you used this - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/manage-email-account and made sure the email settings for Outlook are correct?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Yes to the account and yes to the settings. 

J

Do you have an issues downloading into other clients or is it just Outlook that has the issue? 
Have you spoken to Outlook regarding this to see if it's an issue at their end?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Hayley,

I only download to MS Outlook and have forever.  It is not Microsoft that is the problem but VM and recent changes on the VM Webmail.

Jeff

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jeffberg01 wrote:

It is not Microsoft that is the problem but VM and recent changes on the VM Webmail.

I am not sure where the problem is but it is certainly not due to changes with the VM webmail.

The reason I say that is that Outlook and all other email apps/clients do not access VM webmail at all. They effectively synchronise with your VM mailbox itself via the VM SMTP and POP3 or IMAP servers.

VM webmail is basically just a user interface to the mailbox. The recent changes VM made to VM webmail were just changes to that interface.

What does seem strange in this case (if I understand correctly) is that Outlook can download some emails but not others.

POP3 only downloads emails that are in the inbox, so it will not download emails in the spam folder. It also has no facility to upload emails you send using Outlook back to your VM webmail account.

It is also worth bearing in mind that when VM moved away from the Google based email service in 2015 they implemeted POP3 in a non standard way. See here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Just a clarification with regard to your statement "What does seem strange in this case (if I understand correctly) is that Outlook can download some emails but not others". 

Outlook interfacing with VM Webmail downloads all Emails in the Inbox just not all of the time. I can see no reason for this.  I have found that the longer that you leave the Email in the Inbox of the VM Webmail you find that the it cannot be downloaded. 

I could not download this Email but access it only on the VM Webmail.

My major issue is that this has occurred in the last few months without me changing anything, so I cannot accept that the problem originates at my end (i.e. on my laptop), but is likely to have been at the VM end.

Regards,

J

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there Jeffberg01, thanks for this reply and sorry to see this issue is still ongoing. 

Please, be advised if an update occurred previously this would not have an impact to your email service whatsoever, have you tried to reach Microsoft and enquire about this issue with the Outlook software perhaps? We would be limited as to how much we can help if the issue is with another client software in this case.

Let us know how you get on from there, we are always here to further assist you if needed.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

What version of Outlook are you using, and is it configured for POP or IMAP access?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

An old version of Outlook (2007), configured for POP. As already said, I have tried IMAP and it does not work.

I have used this version ever since it came out on VM with no trouble to download and it is only recently that I am experiencing problems.

It seems that the longer Emails reside on the VM servers before attempting to download, then they don't!  Freshly arrived EMails can be downloaded.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jeffberg01 wrote:

It seems that the longer Emails reside on the VM servers before attempting to download, then they don't!  Freshly arrived EMails can be downloaded.

Just a thought but earlier in the thread you mentioned you also using MS's Mail email client and that could see the emails that Outlook misses.

Is Mail also set up to use POP3? If so, bear in mind what I said earlier that since 2015 VM have implemented POP3 in a non standard way. If a POP3 email client is set to  "delete downloaded emails from the server" VM ignores that setting and does not delete them, but in their words, "hides them from the client" but still keeps them visible in VM Webmail.  See this link I posted earlier for more detail. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour 

If you have MS Mail set up to use POP3 and set to "delete downloaded emails from the server" then my reading of VM's explanation would result in any VM emails that MS Mail downloads being hidden from Outlook when it (Outlook)  next checks your VM account.

So, to put it simply, if MS Mail downloads an email before Outlook then when Outlook checks for new emails it will not be able to download that email because it will now be "hidden" from email clients.

If  you have the POP3 settings in Outlook set to "keep downloaded emails on the server " then MS Mail will totally be unaffected and able to downland all emails even if Outlook has already downloaded them.

That might explain why MS Mail can download all your VM emails but Outlook can only download relatively recent ones (before you have run the MS Mail client and downloaded them to Mail).

As I say, just a thought.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks