cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading Emails into Outlook

Jeffberg01
On our wavelength
  1. I am experiencing download problems into Outlook but can receive them in Gmail (online).  I can see them in the online VM email client but they show as unread and no matter what I try they do not download into Outlook – marking as read, then as unread.
  2. This happens particularly to Emails that appear to originate as distribution lists.  However, if I forward them onto the VM account from Gmail, and strip out the header, they are received and then downloadable by Outlook.
  3. I am also receiving duplicate copies of the same Email in the VM client.
  4. I am also getting a continuous warning about Autoforwarding. When I click on this and ok it , it will come again next time I login.
41 REPLIES 41

Jeffberg01
On our wavelength

Dear Kath,

I thought that is what I was doing and have been doing for over twenty ever, since I joined Cabletel which became NTL and now Virgin Media.

Please explain what you mean by Webmail (the VM Email site?).

J

Hi @Jeffberg01, yes tis would be the VM E-Mail site that my colleague is referring to.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

Well then that is what I have been doing. I can see the Emails on the VM Email website but 50% of the time they are not downloaded into Outlook.

J

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
@Jeffberg01 wrote:

can see the Emails on the VM Email website but 50% of the time they are not downloaded into Outlook.

I cannot explain that but I can respond to some of the questions and points that you haver raised but which seem to have been left hanging.

on ‎11-07-2022 10:57 "Not all Emails being downloaded is not fixed and variable (sometimes can download into Outlook and sometime not). Interesting that the Mail client in Windows can see all the Emails"

The fact that the emails can always be download by MS Mail is  strange. However, if MS Mail can download those emails it suggests the problem lies with Outlook rather than something about the emails themselves. All email clients and apps use the same protocols, either POP3 or IMAP, depending on which settings have been entered in the app. If you are using IMAP in all 3 apps/clients it is very unusual for them to be showing different sets of emails in the inbox because the whole purpose of IMAP is to keep the contents of your email folders synchronised across all your devices and your VM Webmail account.

One possibility is that Outlook is downloading the emails but not displaying them in the inbox. That could be down to a filter set in on your Outlook Inbox or to a rule or rules that have been set up in Outlook. A filter might result in the emails not being displayed in your Outlook inbox and rules set in Outlook might result in the emails being moved to a different Outlook folder or even deleted completely.

on ‎12-07-2022 12:28  "If I leave the header containing it in, it will not be downloaded.  I did wonder if VM are looking at specific headers using a blocklist, but I do not know if this is correct."

VM do indeed occasionally block incoming emails that fail their security checks but they block those emails before they reach your VM mailbox. In other words any emails that VM block will not be appearing in your VM webmail account on the VM website so will not be available to be downloaded by an email client such as Outlook.

They do not block specific emails from being downloaded from a VM mailbox by an email client such as Outlook. At its simplest, the only check an email service such as VM makes when Outlook (or any other email client) attempts to retrieve email is to ensure that the credentials, for example, username and password being passed by the email client are valid. If they are not then the email server refuses the connection and no emails will be downloaded.

on ‎12-07-2022 12:28 "I .......... have set up some filter rules because VM are not capturing them at source and rejecting them. ...... I have stopped them being downloaded and diverted into the Spam folder."

That raises an interesting question. Are you using IMAP of POP3 settings in your various email clients? Or a mixture of both?

It sounds as if you might be using POP3.  IMAP synchronises  all your email folders including the spam folder so merely diverting these spam emails to your spam folder on the VM website would not stop them being downloaded to Outlook.

POP3 just downloads the contents of your Inbox so anything in your spam folder will not be downloaded.

Using POP3 for the same email account across a number of different devices is not recommended especially with VM emails. In theory POP3 does support multiple devices as you long as you have each POP3 email client set to leave the emails on the server after they have been downloaded.

However, VM have implemented POP3 in a non standard way, see here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP3-Behaviour

Once a POP3 email client downloads emails from a VM email account, VM "hides them from the client"  and that non standard implementation could have unexpected effects when you have multiple email apps/clients and devices managing your emails. VM themselves do not recommend using POP3 with their accounts.

I used POP3 until quite recently with a VM email account and never had a problem but that was with an email client (Outlook as it happens) on a single device.

I hope that I have clarified rather than further confused the issue. To sum up I would suggest

• check for any filters or rules in Outlook and if there are any disable them temporarily
  • if you are using POP3 settings in any or all your devices set up IMAP accounts instead.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

I tried to use the IMAP parameters in Outlook and they did not work!

Went back to POP3 which downloads the Emails (but not the Spam trapped by the rules I have set up) and it downloads the Emails into Outlook on the laptop, roughly 50% of the time.  The other half I forward on Emails from Gmail which have been forwarded on from the VM account, and they are able to be downloaded.  VM Email is not going in the right direction!

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jeffberg01, 

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry it did not work, we cannot guarantee it will work with third parties. 

Zoie

@Jeffberg01 wrote:

Hi,

I tried to use the IMAP parameters in Outlook and they did not work!

Went back to POP3 which downloads the Emails (but not the Spam trapped by the rules I have set up) and it downloads the Emails into Outlook on the laptop, roughly 50% of the time.  The other half I forward on Emails from Gmail which have been forwarded on from the VM account, and they are able to be downloaded.  VM Email is not going in the right direction!

Did you try to change an existing account from POP to IMAP?

It's not possible to change an existing POP account to an IMAP one in MS Outlook, see here for instructions on adding an account for IMAP access: https://www.msoutlook.info/question/634

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

So I deleted my POP3 account and set up the IMAP account as suggested.  I have done this before and it did not work. 

I tried again on the basis that I did it wrong.  It synchronised with VM Webmail but did not send the test Emails I sent from elsewhere.  Nor did it download the Unread EMails already on the Webmail site.  I am going back to POP3!

Can someone suggest to VM that their system is getting worse.

Thank you for keeping us updated on this matter Jeffberg01. 

To confirm, are you using the outlook via the application or the web browser version?

^Martin

Outlook is on my laptop(s) as part of MS Office.  Just to reiterate, it used to work with no problems up until a few months ago and then download became problematic, i.e. sometimes it works and sometimes it does'nt. 

For instance, I could not download this Email. I responded from my Gmail!  Perhaps someone can explain to me upgrades VM have done to cause this.