Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Do Spam Filters Ever Work?

I get plagued by spam and Virgin Media seems incapable of (a) writing Filter code which works, and (b) providing decent documentation on its intended functionality.

I decided to test it against emails containing the subject 'rogtest', so I sent the following message to someone with the filter below.

The message got through, unchanged, uncoloured,and unflagged into the inbox.  It didn't go into the receiver's spam folder.  The sender received no notification.

Does anybody know why, please?

rogtest1.jpgrogtest2.jpgrogtest2.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super solver
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do Spam Filters Ever Work?

@VPoorEmail wrote:

The message got through, unchanged, uncoloured,and unflagged into the inbox.  It didn't go into the receiver's spam folder.  The sender received no notification.

Does anybody know why, please?

Sorry to seem dense but does your statement  "I sent the following message to someone with the filter below" mean that filter was set up in the recipient's VM mail account or did you send the message after setting the filter in your email account?

The key point is that the filter rules in VM webmail work on email messages coming into the VM mail account not on emails sent from the account to other people.If that filter was set up in your account it would not have been triggered when you sent the email.

If the filter rule is there in the recipient's email account it may not have been triggered because they already have another rule or rules set up which do not have the  'Process subsequent rules' box (at the bottom of the filter rules creation/edit page) ticked.

What scant advice there is from VM is here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-using-filters but I guess you have probably seen that already.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I apologise for my inaccurate wording but, yes, the filter is on the recipient's account.

I have also moved the filter to the top of the recipient's (i.e. my wife's) filter list.

I have also added "Discard" as an action on the filter (as it is on every one).

I have also checked that every filter in my list has "Process subsequent rules" ticked.

And, by the way, I always tick the box at the bottom of my messages on this forum to "Email me when somebody replies".

I never receive such an email.

VIRGIN EMAIL FILTERS ARE A DISGRACE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Likely a bug that causes destructive and non-destructive actions applied to the same message to fail. Try amending the rule to either Discard a matched message or File into a subfolder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos