cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Distribution List not Updating Properly

GrahamDragon
Tuning in

I have created a distribution list for a charity committee I run.  Recently I had to add a name to the list.

When I create an e-mail and tell it to add everyone on the distribution list it uses the old list without the added name.  I have checked the list and it definitely has the added name in it, and there is not a duplicate or near-duplicate (i.e. similarly named) distribution list for the same charity committee.

When this first happened I assumed it was because Virginmedia had not updated itself in some way, even though when I checked the list on screen it was correct.  My assumption was that if I closed down my computer and opened it again (the standard Microsoft solution to most problems) it would have corrected itself, but it didn't.  I then assumed that it would update after a few days, but over a week has passed and I still have the same problem - the distribution list has all the right names in it but when I click a composed e-mail to add members from that list it does not use the updated list but an old version which does not even show anywhere!

Does anyone else have this or a similar problem and, if so, have you found a work-around?

If not, can anyone think of a work-around anyway?

I would try to get a Virgin Technician to look at it for me and resolve it, but there no longer appear to be any such animals.  When I ring the technical help line I am simply told to give my mobile number to receive a computer link to obtain help, but they never actually send such a link (and the reason I am ringing for help anyway is because I have tried all the usual resolutions such as rebooting my box etc and they have not worked so I need to speak to a human!).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To troubleshoot the issue, what happens when your select the distribution list from the address book and select Send e-mail, is the list of email addresses shown in the To field correct?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To troubleshoot the issue, what happens when your select the distribution list from the address book and select Send e-mail, is the list of email addresses shown in the To field correct?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Yes, it works then.  Thank you for that, which is at least a workaround.  But it is still an issue when I want to forward a mail to the group and therefore need it to select the right members when I go for that Distribution List.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In Address Book, select Search… field and type part / full name of distribution list and then press Enter key. If result shows more than one list then deleting the incorrect duplicates should resolve issue — be aware that deleted entries cannot be recovered so please exercise extra caution when making choice.

Oh, that worked!  What is really odd is that I created the name beginning with "Quaker", and then added the name of the committee.  I have 2 Quaker committees, so when I looked in the address book at the entries beginning with Q there were only 3 there, one of which was an individual address beginning with Quaker and the other 2 of which were my committees.  I can think of no reason why the wrong one never showed there.  But when I did the search for "Quaker" an additional one beginning "Quaker" came up even though it never showed under "Q" - and that was the old version that kept replacing the one I wanted.  I have deleted that one, and now I get the correct list.  Thank you for that!

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the update GrahamDragon however many apologies for the issues faced,

Do pop back up if you require further assistance.

All the best,

Kain