cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappearing Emails

itwhiz
On our wavelength

Several occasions in the past few days I have had emails appear in my Inbox and then disappear after a few seconds.
For example, I was on the phone and noticed 5 emails appear from Netflix that my Password had changed, my username had change and my email address had changed. When I came off the phone (10 seconds later) they had all gone from my inbox.
Again, I had an email that Outlook password had changed, within a second it disappeared.

I checked on several email clients, Thunderbird/Online VM/Outlook etc and the messages do not appear in any folder (spam/junk/deleted etc).
Any ideas why this is happening?
Is there an issue with the Email service? or is Spam being stopped at source? How can I trap these emails?

8 REPLIES 8

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the password change notification were unexpected then consider:

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there itwhiz,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced with your mail, can I ask is this happening to certain emails or at random?
Let us know,

Kain

itwhiz
On our wavelength

Hi,

The emails were random, password requests for various things - Netflix, email etc. One of them I caught was detailed as from a Google Pixel2 Located in Bristol.

The main set of 5 disappearing emails were all from Netflix - email change request, update confirmation etc.

BUT, these all then just disappeared from the email list as though they'd been recalled, moved or deleted.

I did check with Netflix and sure enough my details had been changed - my email address/phone number had been removed, and Name. I did ask what they had been changed to, but they said just random letters and numbers

I checked online on webmail and on my email client for any filters but there were none.

Hi itwhiz 

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your emails at the moment.

As the emails received were regarding password/detail changes, for security I would recommend to change your email password and also your passwords on all affected accounts such as Netflix.

There is also some more information here that may be useful. 

If you have any further questions please pop back to us here. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

itwhiz
On our wavelength

All passwords and details have been updated.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I'd suspect that the account has been hacked. Someone who is misusing it will delete replies like those very quickly in the hope that you hadn't noticed them.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@itwhiz wrote:

All passwords and details have been updated.

If you are still seeing emails disappear from your VM email account after changing the password it may well be that the hacker is keeping a session of you VM webmail account open on their device.

With the previous version of VM webmail you had the option to "sign out of all sessions" when you signed out. That would have bumped the hacker off your account.

All you can do now is to lower the automatic sign out setting to 5 minutes as set out below:

Automatic sign out.png

In addition make sure that you change the "Password recovery question" for that email account - that is just below the password edit option in the My Virgin Media account.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Might be worth checking your email address here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.