cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable my Virgin.net email

MandyB2
Tuning in

Please help.... my virgin.net email address, that I set up in 2005 and used as my main email, stopped being accessible in December 2021 it asked me to update my password but would not accept my email address, password and I couldn't do a password reset as it would not accept my mothers maiden name which I am pretty sure I do know what it is!  After contacting virgin media several times I was asked to speak with TalkTalk who had taken over the email address.  Weirdly on my mail app on my mac I can still access sent messages without logging in.  However, after a week of communications with TalkTalk where they said they knew the email address, then they didn't, then they did but said it was an outage, culminating in being told that unless I paid them £5 per month or £60 for the year they wouldn't help me but they could guarantee I'd get my emails back if I paid?  This really angered me and they were so so rude by the end of 7 days of constant contact I decided to use my gmail account instead and lose all my emails as I felt like I had been lied to and mislead terribly and I no longer trusted anything they were telling me as it was contradicted daily.  I now want to disable the account but have no access.  Please help as I want people to get a message saying the mailbox is inactive as currently it can still be receiving messages as I see the numbers in my mail app coming in but cannot access them and without the bounce back message.  Thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MandyB2  Talk Talk never took over the virgin.net email addresses.  That is a misnomer often predicated by VM telephone support staff.

The VM Forum Team staff should be able to help you get this account fully closed down.  They will respond here when they reach this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

jem101
Superstar

Oh dear, now where to start?

Firstly, are you a current VM broadband customer? If not then it is most likely that the Virgin.net email address has been deleted, or is in the process of being deleted as use of any of the VM branded email addresses is absolutely conditional on you being a current broadband customer.

Secondly, forget anything about TalkTalk, they do not and have NEVER had anything to do with the Virgin.net email domain, I have no idea why you got the run around from them about it, unless I misunderstood what you were saying, which is quite possible.

If you are not a current VM customer, then the likelihood is that the account which grants you access to the mailbox has been disabled or in the process of being deleted, which is why you can’t get to it, but the mailbox itself can linger on (there does seem to be a bit of a disconnect on VM’s part, between the two components of this) and so still accepts mail (so no bounce back message), you just can’t access it.

If you are not a customer, best to assume, and work on the basis off the mailbox being gone and not coming back.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MandyB2  Talk Talk never took over the virgin.net email addresses.  That is a misnomer often predicated by VM telephone support staff.

The VM Forum Team staff should be able to help you get this account fully closed down.  They will respond here when they reach this thread.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey thanks for the reply. I stopped being a VM customer several years ago so for about 10 years I've just used the email address without being a customer but without any issues.  I was told by VM that TalkTalk had taken over all virgin.net email addresses and that I had to contact them.  I am happy not to have access now after all the dramas and spending hours changing details with everyone etc.  I just want to get it deleted if that is possible but not sure it is? 😞

Hey Graham.... sounds familiar.  Thanks for your email and yes closing it down is my best option and as you say VM staff are saying TalkTalk which is misleading.  I look forward to hearing from the VM team with instructions to do this.  Thanks again for your time. 🙂

@MandyB2 by ‘misleading’ read, ‘absolutely lied to’, I’ll escalate this thread to the forum staff to see if they can expedite the deletion of the mailbox.

John

Edit : OK I won’t escalate it since one of my fellow VIPs has already done so. Now whether this gets done in a reasonable time and/or how complete it is, is, of course, another matter!

Thank you John... I won't go into the stress levels of that week... few tears too 🙂

@MandyB2 wrote:
Thank you John... I won't go into the stress levels of that week... few tears too 🙂

Ah, no, it’s never worth tears being shed, I find a couple of glasses of red wine work wonders……..

John

Hi MandyB2,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue with the email address. 

We can certainly look into getting that closed for you. 

What I will do si private message you so we can proceed with this. 

^Martin

Thanks Martin