cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delisting of Blacklist IP address

Stuart_Jones
Tuning in

123reg has advised me to contact Virgin Media to request that my IP address be delisted from the blacklist, Spamhaus Zen. Currently, some of my emails drop into the recipient spam folders.

Can Virgin Media provide this service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stuart_Jones wrote:

I've run the IP address through Spamhaus checker and it is a PBL.

Who do I contact at virgin media to delist it?

I think 123reg are fobbing you off.

Firstly, their original reference to Spamhaus Zen suggests they do not have a full understanding of the zen.spamhaus.org blocklist.   Zen is a combination of all Spamhaus IP-based DNSBLs into a single comprehensive blocklist to make querying faster and simpler. (It contains the full IP lists from their SBL, SBLCSS, XBL and PBL blocklists).  So you cannot simply get an IP address removed from Zen.

To come to your question about getting delisted from the Spamhaus PBL blocklist.  PBL stands Policy Block List and it contains  IP addresses that should not be connecting directly to mail exchangers.   In fact all Virgin Media IP addresses should be on Spamhaus PBL because VM home IP addresses are not designed to run email servers.

The fact that emails from your 123reg domain are sometimes flagged as spam is (I would suggest) more likely to be down to the SPF, DKIM and DMARC settings used with your domain. These are the rules used to protect email domains and addresses from being spoofed by third parties. If they are not implemented, or implemented incorrectly, that may well result in emails being wrongly flagged as suspicious.

It is also worth bearing in mind that there can be any number of reasons why spam filters flag an email as spam such as a url link in the email.

I suspect 123reg have just taken an easy option and passed you on to VM.  However, I must admit to being a bit of cynic. 😮

I think you need to have another talk with 123reg. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Stuart_Jones
Tuning in

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stuart_Jones wrote:

I think 123reg are fobbing you off.

Firstly, their original reference to Spamhaus Zen suggests they do not have a full understanding of the zen.spamhaus.org blocklist.   Zen is a combination of all Spamhaus IP-based DNSBLs into a single comprehensive blocklist to make querying faster and simpler. (It contains the full IP lists from their SBL, SBLCSS, XBL and PBL blocklists).  So you cannot simply get an IP address removed from Zen.

To come to your question about getting delisted from the Spamhaus PBL blocklist.  PBL stands Policy Block List and it contains  IP addresses that should not be connecting directly to mail exchangers.   In fact all Virgin Media IP addresses should be on Spamhaus PBL because VM home IP addresses are not designed to run email servers.

The fact that emails from your 123reg domain are sometimes flagged as spam is (I would suggest) more likely to be down to the SPF, DKIM and DMARC settings used with your domain. These are the rules used to protect email domains and addresses from being spoofed by third parties. If they are not implemented, or implemented incorrectly, that may well result in emails being wrongly flagged as suspicious.

It is also worth bearing in mind that there can be any number of reasons why spam filters flag an email as spam such as a url link in the email.

I suspect 123reg have just taken an easy option and passed you on to VM.  However, I must admit to being a bit of cynic. 😮

I think you need to have another talk with 123reg. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for that.  Yes I think it is to do with SPF, DKIM and DMARC as on a checking website there were errors in one or two of these.  123reg do not reply to this - yep 123 reg do not have a clue!  I've decided to get a professional IT person, nerdapp, to look into this for me, I could waste a lot of time on this, as I'm a complete novice! Thanks again for your reply.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Stuart_Jones

Please let us know how you get on?

Gareth_L