Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Deleted emails not syncing with phone

I have a Huawei P30 using Android and can get my emails fine (ntlworld.com). However, if I delete an email from my phone it doesn't sync with my email account when I log in from desktop. I have the same issue with sent emails between phone and device and the other way. Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deleted emails not syncing with phone

Hello there @pezjames

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your emails syncing. 

Can you advise how you are accessing your emails on the mobile device? Are you using a 3rd party email client? 

How are you accessing via your desktop? Via webmail or a 3rd party email client? 

The first check we would ask is to delete all settings from your device - reset the password via your account and then set up  your emails on the device again. 

Let us know how you get on and answer the questions above; if you're still having issues we can take a closer look. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

I am using the email app that comes loaded for Android phones.

I am accessing on desktop through the Virginmedia website clicking on the email icon.

I have logged out and back in on my phone and now no emails are showing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for popping back @pezjames

Rather than juts logging out and logging back in; it would be best to delete all the settings completely and then reinstall the email services. 

Have you tried another email client on your device at all? 

Did you reset the password via your account before setting up the account on the device? 

Have a look at our help pages for more information; Virgin Media Mail - Android

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have completely removed and reset the log in and it is no better. I can get my email but it still doesn't sync properly.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for checking - the last one which I forgot to add to my last post was to ensure that auto sync is activated within your handsets settings

Make sure that Auto Sync Data is turned on under Settings> Data Usage> Menu> Auto Sync Data (could be worded slightly different depending on your handset - you may need to check your user guide for your make and model.

Keep me posted. 

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This was already switched on and hasn't made a difference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Right - so after some googling and chatting with some colleagues, it seems that this is a known issue with Android systems and the non-gmail email app on the android devices. 

Non-Gmail e-mail that you fetch on your phone typically remains on the e-mail server. That’s because, unlike a computer’s e-mail program, the phone’s Email app doesn’t delete messages after it picks them up.

You can attempt to by-pass this setting by using the following steps: 

1. Open the Email app and visit the inbox
  2. Touch the Action Overflow icon and choose the Settings command. (On some phones, touch the Menu icon to see the Settings command)
  3. Choose an e-mail account.
  4. Choose the Incoming Settings item. (If you can’t find an Incoming Settings command, you’re dealing with a web-based e-mail account, in which case there is no need to worry about the server delete option)
  5. Below the item Delete Email from Server, choose the option When I Delete from Inbox. (The only other option besides When I Delete from Inbox is Never. If you see the Never option, choose the other one)
  6. Touch the Done button.

After making or confirming this setting, messages you delete in the Email app are also deleted from the mail server. The message won’t be picked up again, not by the phone, another mobile device, or any computer that fetches e-mail from that same account.

Let me know how you get on with that. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Katie

Those settings were already set. They've haven't made a difference.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

In that case @pezjames I do apologise but there is nothing further we can advise; this is an Android email app issue as explained within my last post. 

Non-Gmail e-mail that you fetch on your phone typically remains on the e-mail server. That’s because, unlike a computer’s e-mail program, the phone’s Email app doesn’t delete messages after it picks them up.

If you are wanting to be able to delete from your phone, Gmail server may be a better option for you: 

• Deleting mail on the server isn’t a problem for Gmail. No matter how you access your Gmail account, from your phone or from a computer, the inbox lists the same messages.

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos