cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

Yep, this is getting far beyond a joke. My wife and I have separate email accounts and we're getting probably 40+/day from these idiots. Surely VM can find some way of sorting this issue out? They do all come from different mail addresses, admittedly, but in investigating this with another issue some time ago, they're coming from the same domain name provider each time. Can't VM block this provider to block these morons from spamming?

From what I can see as well, this isn't an NTLWORLD specific issue - my son has an NTLWORLD address and gets absolutely nothing....

Come on VM - do something!

@robin13867 wrote:

Yep, this is getting far beyond a joke. My wife and I have separate email accounts and we're getting probably 40+/day from these idiots. Surely VM can find some way of sorting this issue out? They do all come from different mail addresses, admittedly, but in investigating this with another issue some time ago, they're coming from the same domain name provider each time. Can't VM block this provider to block these morons from spamming?

From what I can see as well, this isn't an NTLWORLD specific issue - my son has an NTLWORLD address and gets absolutely nothing....

Come on VM - do something!

my blueyonder account gets them in droves - the wifes gets non - both accounts link back to the same Blueyonder account - if i could work out why she gets non i would have cracked it!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

littlewren
On our wavelength

I have been getting in excess of 100+ emails in the course of a day for a couple of months now, always about McAfee/Norton, so sick to death of them.  They are just to two of my ntlworld addresses.  Why has this started happening so recently?  VM trap a couple, that's about it.  😫

Dean_C

Hi Guys, 

I'm very sorry about the amount of spam you have been receiving over the past couple of weeks and I am going to feed this back to the relevant teams so it can be investigated straight away. 

@HowardML @-tony-  Please can you PM me some of the headers you have seen?

Thanks,

Dean C
Community Moderator

Hi Dean.

I have just come into my office to shut the computer down for the night, and now I have even more scam...so sick of this now...😡😡. I will do print screen and post PM

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE ABOUT THIS !!!

Regards

Barbara

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

@Dean_C 

I have PM'd you the headers that @-tony- has provided. As they contain personal details I can't post them here.

Others - we appreciate your frustration. Rather than seeing constant moans and groans about this spam plague I have actually done something to bring the issue to the attention of the VM teams responsible for resolution more quickly than it might usually be picked up.  May we, at least ask for your patience while they investigate.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Professional spammers are very clever individuals; they can bounce emails around the world quite easily and quickly and by the time you catch up with them, they've already moved on.  AWS provide limited free services and these can be easily exploited by nefarious types, as can all the other big players (Google, Microsoft, Apple etc). 

Your email address may have been "stolen" in a data breach that happened several years ago and ended up on a hit list.  Other ways of generating email addresses are quite simple; a few bytes of computer code, a list of common 1st names and a list of common surnames, put them together and you have a huge list of emails.  4K of computer code generates 173,000 emails in less than 30 seconds.  Howard mentions above about hit and run attacks, that is my guess is to what is going on.

Heavy reading: (above mentioned AWS attack; gets a bit hairy in places, goes into a lot of detail)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Spam-Email-sysprem-com/td-p/3924528 

Light reading: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Once-again-swamped-with-spam/td-p/3991625

I can't find the stuff I posted years ago.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Good morning everyone,

Wow, I can hardly believe it,  scared I am speaking too soon, but it is almost 7am Friday and just opened my computer...and.....no nasty spam emails !!!🙂

Thank you so much for whoever has stopped this...what a difference it makes not seeing that rubbish daily, also for poor people who just fall for it and get scammed.

Keeping fingers crossed this will last and later in the day I will come back and read all the links.

Again, Thank you !!

Kindest regards

Barbara.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
This may be no more than coincidence. The spammers move on to new targets. But this kind of intelligence is useful. So thank you.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Don't hold your breath, I've just got a bunch.