cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

I've sent about 10 this morning in a row and still seems to be working 🙂

I've been saving these emails as "save as file" and then sending in bulk to phishing@virginmedia.com.  Haven't had any rejected. I simply then go back in to my files and delete them once they've been sent. Yesterday got 11 Mcafee & 3 bitcoin.  Have tried all the suggested filter rules without success.  Last time we were inundated the filter on lower 4th Oct 2020 date worked, doesn't appear to this time around as lots of these Mcafee ones have that date showing when you view source.    

Don't know about anybody else, but the Tide seems to be slacking. I only received one spam email yesterday and none today....! (and it is not my new Spam filter rules either ; nothing has been 'caught')

Some reduction - although it’s 2-3 a day. 

interestingly the BITCOIN stuff has stopped. There is a trickle of McAfee stuff and now something about ‘News Alert’ 

the content is the same format wise (some kind of short url ) 

Sad experience shows that we will never hear from VM if they had a problem, or fixed a problem or anything else - one day, like a miracle, the stuff will just stop. There will be no help from VM.

Thanks for copying these Stanl. I've compiled a list of the domains and added them to my own (lengthy) list. During the last deluge 6 months ago,  I had some success with domain names rather than whole email addresses when setting filters. With zero help from VM themselves, it is a matter of trial and error.  If I get any results I'll post an update.

Unclestein
On our wavelength

That's probably one of the best replies ever.

Perhaps flooding VMs UK CEO with email might illicit a response but more importantly a fix from the people that should be doing their job

see here:

https://ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-9632&c=Virgin%20Media%20Limited-Chief%20Executive

Hi rees2301,

I too "save-as .eml" and forward as (multiple) attachments, but send any scum-spam to report@phishing.gov.uk with great success. The domains have so far been blocked, with virtually zero crud getting to me at all over the last few months since I started to send to them.

Here's their webpage -

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/report-suspicious-emails 

Although I have my filters set - I've had no need to update them for a long time 🤞 https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Daily-Spam-re-Norton-Mcafee/m-p/4531268#M208213

Worth a try with report@phishing.gov.uk if you're sending to Virgin anyway - add them to your forwarded addressees.

Re the ceo route I think it only fair to notify them and give them a chance to do something

I have the addresses of 2 of the top people and emailed them politely requesting that they have words with tech dept to sort it out

I have a trickle of spam from 'McAfee' but not the flood reported elsewhere. So far, no bitcoins or messages from ladies offering various services. Like Boothy99, I set up a filter a while ago when there was a previous flood.

I have recently experimented with the Reject All Spam filter but, as reported earlier, found it made no difference. I have reverted to having spam placed in the Junk folder, Virgin's default position. It seems that the change in default position by VM to placing spam in the junk folder happened years ago, not recently.

If forwarding spam, I also agree that it makes sense to send it to report@phishing.gov.uk