cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

Thanks but I don't know how to do what you suggest as a filter

how do you insert a list of domains, what separator is used if its possible. thanks joe 

chaos241

FILTERING-

I recognise some of your filters, I have had some the same spam myself.

I have experimented with filters but recently they were messed up, so perhaps best to keep it simple as you suggest and show in your screenshot.

The filters sometimes fail and this may be down to virgin, and emails end up in the wrong folder.

If the filters are to complex and too many of them they do not always work, so keep it simple I think.

I have transferred some contacts to other emails so now just get "99% PURE SPAM EMAILS".

So I am revising my filters and evaluating the filter performance for each one, but in the meantime I am just putting all my emails to spam but still have specific filters so I can track particular senders, some of which go back to 2018 and I am monitoring the regular spammers.

Recently getting emails with encoding problems where the text show as boxes, usually where emails come from other languages  Microsoft  windows not picking up the correct text font, so can not even read the email, in the header is show as question marks inside of diamonds.

today got Canadian pharmacy again, a regular spam email from one of the big spam outfits.

The extreme spamming problem has not been addresses by virgin and I have had to switch emails as I no longer consider my primary email to be private, it is now public and open for all spammers.

alf28

VIRGIN MAIL HAS SPAM FILTERING

SEE OLDER POST-

Solved: Email hacked ? - Virgin Media Community - 4291459

If they still use cloudmark their website shows the following protection-

Cloudmark Platform for Email | Cloudmark EN

RECENT BREACHES-FEB 2021-

COMB - Biggest Data Breach of All Time Explained | CyberNews

the personal data leak checker shows my email is on the list.

alf28

Recent spam

(not tagged spam)   I have an email from server in  India, with no content and fake sender email - market @makedoingday.com

This one has just symbols and small square boxes in place of text in the subject and sender name, so not readable.

Rare to get one from India, the data breach COMB in my previos post feb 2021 must be getting world wide attention.

----------------------------------------------------------

(tagged spam)    Also canadian pharmacy rude email   sender   ui@radiolan.sk   server in slovakia.      (often get this one)

------------------------------------------------------------

(tagged spam)    also 4 x very rude dating emails from goodtastestories.com , from brazi, belgade etc    ( new spam)

these always have a block of random meaningless text/numbers in the message

--------------------------------------

The emails all seem to have a similar format, virgin are tagging some as spam so their filter does work with some emails.

alf28

Virgin EMAIL  POLICY/management and spamming issues.

Virgin have a primary email attached to the virgin media account number.

They then allow you to create secondary emails up to a max of 9 I think.

The present rules do not allow the primary email to be changed, only by closing the account on leaving it can be removed but even then many posts about former members still getting emails from their old primary email.

With this inflexibility which is due the policy of linking the virgin media account to an email for the life of the account, this means if spam becomes a huge problem, which is the case, then the email can not be changed. That was not always the case because I did change mine years ago due to spam and they obliged, the old primary email is still on the hacking lists.as well as my present primary email. As each virgin account has an account number the email is not required to identify the account so is just an email and like most emails should have delete/add option, or be like outlook where the email address can be switched to any other chose alias.

It is possible to now change the virgin account  log in details and use a completely different email to log in and as a contact email for virgin, so why do they insist so rigidly to keep the primary email unchanged even if corrupted by hackers and spammers. I do this as it is more secure.

If virgin changed the system to allow their customers to switch a secondary email to become a primary, then if customers were getting spam they could choose to move email to a clean email, my secondary emails never get spam at all indicating newer email addresses are not on spamming lists.

Virgin say this is absolutely impossible for technical reason, yet there are 236 posts on this one thread and many more recent treads on spam emails.

The solution is surely easy, give customers the ability to choose a new primary email, the system could transfer the old primary to become a secondary, so simple yet virgin do not seem to be able to do this for some technical reason that they do not explain, perhaps they are following some uk data regulations which mean they have to keep all emails for 12 months or longer by law.

Or perhaps if the primary email can not be changed, then the only option is to continue using it or stop using it and choose alternatives, which is often advise by the community in older postings. If that was done the virgin primary can be forwarded to gmail for example which catches close to 100% of spam so would filter the crap, I have tried this and it works but would mean switching emails but continue to use the old primary email but read in gmail by forwarding in the settings page.

If a copy of all the posts were sent to the virgin management to "read", perhaps they might eventually consider customer feedback on this issue.?

Also there are problems when old emails both primary and secondary that continue to exist after deletion or customers leaving and are not properly deleted/closed off after 90 day but continue to be a problem due to hacking etc. and I see this almost daily in postings.

As all these issues do affect customers online security, there should be a department or person that deals specifically with email issues, but most people are desperately trying to find answers on the virgin community and the posts just keep going around in circles, and customers trying to find solutions.

The Virgin management needs to look at this issue, I tried to resolve the spam/spoof emails  it in 2018 by removing my primary email or changing it to another but 2 years later still no solution, I see hundreds still having the same problem with spam which has increased in February 2021 due to published hacking combo list.

If the primary email can not be changed then the virgin spam filtering should be improved to 100% spam detection, the existing spam filtering is not catching all spam and does not respond quick enough to current spam, only genuine emails should land in the inbox, some of the spam is obvious but the virgin spam filters keep missing a lot or just getting the odd few tagged as spam.

alf28

SEE this example-

Old ntlworld email address is still haunting me - Virgin Media Community - 4618406

What is going on with the email management, perhaps there is none.

With such poor control, help and lack of direct contact regarding emails and lack of security with spam and closed emails still being active etc, it is probably wise to consider not using the isp email but to use an independent email such as gmail, outlook, yahoo etc.

These post from previous account holders and similar posts arrive most days, so beware of these issues.

It is a good idea to have several alternative email addresses and if you do forward virgin email to another email chose an alias so if spammed it can be ditched easily, not easy to get rid of a troublesome email, can be difficult although the community forum team will help by contacting virgin but takes about 7/10 days. 

alf28

ALTERNATIVE EMAIL SERVICES to virgin isp-

If anyone wants alternative emails to virgin there are plenty free ones, some have paid options but I use the free ones

Typical List-

gmail.com

outlook.com  (outlook live)

yahoo.com

protonmail.com

aol.com

mail.com

I have used all these emails without issue, there are many more but I have listed the more well known ones.

All can be used with web mail or email clients such as windows mail, thunderbird, bluemail and  apps such as gmail for tablets/phones.

Some have 2 step  authentication for added security-gmail, outlook, yahoo, aol and good recovery procedures using alternative email and text sms.

App passwords can be set up if email clients are used, although I prefer web mail and log in each time.

alf28

Taken myself out of notifications, cause getting too many emails about this subject.

However felt it worth commenting here if it helps anyone.

I have some success with adding filters.

I have added the following;

BeestonBoy71_0-1613739254639.png

With the Regex box filled with;

roundhouse|pzpsport|lpandljustfab|independent|thesecurise|yfkginous|ratrace|yourhealthcareprovider|mx1|nytimes|sporting|tenderapp|yfkginous|dpxgainful|warnerrecords|atlanticrecords|nemona|yfkginous|qpbsublet|qpbsublet|dynmktg|afqfitness|afqfitness|qpbsublet|zsminsurance|qpbsublet|qbghealth|timezone

I add the domain name parts as crap does get through, trying to avoid dots, spaces and dashes as these may count as wildcard letters or something.

I used the Regex checker - https://www.freeformatter.com/regex-tester.html - which was helpful as I can't find the real meaning of Regex.

DON'T put the vertical | at the end of the above string in preparation for the next one as this then looks for anything with a space in it and picks up all emails and dumps them into Spam with my rule - which I really struggled with to start with.

Good luck!