cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

I am having the same problem.  I get at least 20 of them a day

See this earlier posting from zzzzztt.  

Its great and works well on the vast majority of  spam mails both my wife and are are receiving. Just a shame VM appear to have chosen to ignore everyone’s concerns.  It doesn’t solve all spam/phishing mails just those with the particular funny date in email header

Have a read through https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/My-Spam-solution/td-p/4582197

This workaround works a treat.

You have to use the filter just how DaveW96 describes. I got the lower bit wrong so was disappointed when it didn't work. (I checked lower equals instead of just lower).

Since applying correctly all that rubbish goes straight to spam.

Saminthecity79
Tuning in

Hi everyone. So I think we can all agree that there has been a very serious data breach recently which has resulted in the problem we are all experiencing. Some users have commented they have NEVER given out their email address to any external websites which suggests that the breach is within VM itself. Whilst I appreciate all the tips on filter rules etc, they are not working for everyone and we should not have to fix this problem ourselves. Especially seeing as we have all had to endure a price rise. The silence on Virgin Media's part is very alarming and makes me think this is a serious problem. There has not been any official statement from them and apart from the odd mod comment on here all phonecalls, tweets and official complaints are being ignored. This is simply not good enough. If you are on Twitter you can search the keywords and see this is a HUGE problem. I have made several tweets to relevant bodies including Ofcom. If you are on Twitter could you please go to my profile @samkkalleyne and retweet all of the separate tweets so that we can get some traction going forward. Power in numbers. Also VM were featured on Watchdog last night so now is a good time to get this noticed. Thanks very much and have a great (spam free) day!

vmspam.jpg

These spam filters have mostly been working.  I'm not 100% confident on the effectiveness of the filters and I have resorted to using regular expressions to counter them.  The spammer is masquerading behind several legitimate domains on some occasions.  When you view the header you'll see a the real culprit.  Yes I'm aware I have some duplicates in the list because I've sort of been experimenting. 

I've been getting an influx of calls on my home phone lately from with Amazon Prime reminders and vague threats from BT telling me they are going to cut off my landline. 

Most Virgin Media customers I know disconnect their landline because of this reason.  But the sporadic increase recently is frustrating. 

Virgin Media need to step up and at least try and do something because the whole situation is getting ridiculous. 

Shhhhhh I only had 4 yesterday and none so far today!

The reason I believe it is a data breach is due to the fact I'm getting dozens of spam calls a day on my landline. A month ago I would seldom get them. But now it's constant.

I think a rogue member of staff at VM has been paid a rather large sum to copy the contact information database and send it off to some third party.

Virgin Media should really do a security audit and offer those customers affected a chance to change their home land line number. 

What I find irritating is that VM are either unaware or completely unwilling to admit that this has occurred.  These contact databases should be under lock and key where duplication of the data is incredibly difficult.  I appreciate it's rather challenging and almost impossible to stop this from happening however.   

I would conclude that the breach occurred because many of the Virgin Media customer representatives are working from home.  No doubt a rushed piece of software was created which allowed them to resolve customer queries remotely.  A disgruntled member of staff took the opportunity to make a few thousand pounds by selling this information to a vexatious individual. 

The database is inevitably going to be sold on again to another individual and I believe this is only the beginning of what is to come. 

I have been unable to get access to my webmail account since yesterday. A notice on the webpage says 'maintenance' is in progress to give us, er, an 'even better service'. Two of my email accounts are no longer working. Is this good news or bad news?

I'm not sure but I get this error message quite a lot but if I refresh the page or close everything and try again it's absolutely fine 🙄

I've had that problem before... Try clearing your browser cache. 

@stokiejoe wrote:

Thanks I'm getting loads too, not just Norton and Mcafee, mainly from China. What is desperately needed is a mechanism to block domains eg @tenderapp.com so that we can stop it. Other providers do. failing this the ability to whitelist our wanted contacts.

Many thanks

Joe

TenderApp is not responsible for sending out the spam.  The spammers are masquerading as tenderapp.  Please see the attached Tweet.   If you look in the header of the email and scroll down, you'll see who the actual sender is.  When a server sends out an email the spammer can add any return address they like.  Never trust the source of an email until you look at the details in the header. 

You can block domains with a regular expression.  I'm blocking several domains through my filters and they seem to be working correctly..