cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily Spam re Norton/Mcafee

andypat
On our wavelength

So much spam getting through at mo , both my wife and I getting same spam, separate email addresses also  my mother is getting the same too.

Been going on a while now - anyone else getting them?

400 REPLIES 400

OH MY GOD THIS!!! I don't want your stupid badge emails do something about our spam email problem! 😡😡😡

@Saminthecity79 wrote:

OH MY GOD THIS!!! I don't want your stupid badge emails do something about our spam email problem! 😡😡😡

Perhaps try tweaking your profile settings, specifically in the Notifications section.

This link should take you straight to where you need to be with the appropriate options:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions

Thank you ☺️

An update from me.

My flags on domain names are still working 80% of the time. As before, some are slipping through, and some new domain names (bandsintown) are being flagged before I have listed them.

Not sure about Spamcop - they seem to be concentrating on the Ziggo IP address (which seems to be Virgin's smtp server - no reduction in spam as yet but we'll wait and see.

I confess I'm perplexed by the Wed4 Oct 2020 18:44:07 -0400 line in all the envelopes associated with this spam. I tried setting a filter condition for the 'date' but this didn't work because 4 October 2020 was a Sunday, not Wednesday and therefore could not have been set automatically by the sender's device. One assumes then that it has nothing to do with the date of transmission and that it must have been added manually for some other (malicious) purpose, or possibly it could be some sort of identifier for the device itself. I have scanned my machine for malware with no result.

I have set a new filter condition for 'Envelope/Contains' to see whether this yields any results.

stokiejoe
On our wavelength

Thanks I'm getting loads too, not just Norton and Mcafee, mainly from China. What is desperately needed is a mechanism to block domains eg @tenderapp.com so that we can stop it. Other providers do. failing this the ability to whitelist our wanted contacts.

Many thanks

Joe

Morrile
Up to speed

Hello,

I agree it's getting beyond a joke now. I have spotted one change that will help, and it's this: when we Block an address it should not be the whole address because spammers are constantly changing the first part of the email address. What should be blocked is everything after the @ symbol. We do this at work and the setting read in this example as *@spammers.com and whilst it does not stop spam, it does reduce the volume of spam within our Inbox.

Why cannot VM set up such a system to help everyone?

Morrile 

saminthecity79

FOR DATA BREACH

SEE

Virgin Media data breach: what to do if you are one of the 900,000 affected customers, and which dat...

Data Breach Information | Help & Advice | Virgin Media

My spam and spoofing issue date back to November 2018, I contacted Martin Lewis and went through the Resolver and raised a case to have my email removed or changed to a new address. (I still have the paperwork)

I had standard letters from virgin with advice on spoofed emails and regarding the resolver case I got a phone call from virgin saying nothing could be done.

I gave up rather than escalate my case as I got no where, virgin would not budge on this issue and still they do not allow the primary email to be changed even if it is receiving spam/blackmail/spoofing/scams etc., so they do endanger the  customer with their stubborn rules on email accounts.

Today I got a very strange email, the subject and sender name consisted purely of strange symbols that keep morphing to question marks and numbers.

In some cases the sender can change the email after receipt by switching the links in the email and the danger of malware downloads etc.

The BBC news "today" says the most emails now have images with tracking pixels that contain code that can provide them with your data/system info and if the email has been read etc., it is now standard practice to spy on the victim via email pixel images, it is a standard marketing method now.

I wish you luck and hope you can perhaps get some answers from virgin, I have had to switch emails to solve the problem but still get all sorts of phishing/blackmail/scam/spam etc for 2 years and monitor this as some is criminal activity, so I report it to action fraud.

Virgin class the email as a free service add on, not part of the package and so do not develop or improve it, used to be part of gmail but now run on servers in the Netherlands via ziggo (liberty global).

My best advice would be to change emails to gmail.com or outlook. com or switch to a virgin secondary email, takes a while to switch emails but may be less trouble that trying to change the virgin email system via watchdog, press etc but that might work, who knows?

Virgin will probably state that they are not responsible for spam emails and anyone affected by the data breach was sent a letter, I did not get one.

There is a possibility that the antivirus fake spam emails may have resulted from hacking of databases belonging to the antivirus companies, but these hacking are not always made public knowledge until long after the event.

Hope my previous attempt via Resolver (Marin Lewis) are of interest and that they failed in 2018, still no improvement at all.

alf28

I am just a member of the community, not part of virgin, perhaps a virgin forum team member should look at your issues.

zzzzztt
On our wavelength

Have a read through https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/My-Spam-solution/td-p/4582197

This workaround works a treat.

You have to use the filter just how DaveW96 describes. I got the lower bit wrong so was disappointed when it didn't work. (I checked lower equals instead of just lower).

Since applying correctly all that rubbish goes straight to spam.

Have had a read of that thread and am trying the filter.

However I have had a few spam emails that don't contain that date.

I have also had some from the Virgin Mail Delivery system for emails I have never sent!

How to safely check your email and text messages

SEE

How to safely check your email and text messages (ricksdailytips.com)

Spam email makes it hard to distinguish what is a genuine email and what is spam as the sender address is easily forged/spoofed to look like it is from one of your normal contacts or online services used.

These emails can cleverly avoid spam filters giving a false impression the email may be genuine when it is actually fake.

Hope one day a more secure method of communication is invented or isp's and mail clients can find ways to block faked emails, some do.

alf28