cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer support just told me 'all ntlworld accounts have been disabled' - can't get into my mail etc

ChrisNoble
Up to speed

So this a very aggravating one - yesterday at about 11am, my primary e-mail account (an ntlworld account) started failing - incorrect password. Happened on phone and desktop  - so presumably a server issue

Tried to log into 'My Virgin Media' - wrong password.

Since I use my own domain with a forwarder, I redirected the address to another e-mail address and got it to send a password reset:

Oops, we've ran into a problem.
Wait a minute and try again. If this doesn't work, please come back later. (Code: DEF01)

Phoned up Virgin this morning.

1. Apparently this account wasn't listed as my primary account - a (what I am sure was) an secondary account was now primary. Logged into the primary account on My Virginmedia successfully

2. Couldn't see a way to change the password on secondary accounts - going to 'Account Details > Manage other My Virgin Media accounts - lists the accounts (including the what-I-thought-was-primary ntlworld account) - but only with a 'delete' option - no edit options.

3. Customer service says that they will reset the password on the NTLworld account from their end. Comes back and says they can't do it and neither will have I "I've just been told that all NTLWorld accounts have been disabled and you would have been sent an e-mail to say they were being disabled."

1. Obviously I received no such e-mail
  2. Other NTLWorld accounts are still working fine.
  3. CSR cannot say when such an e-mail would have been sent

Sounds like a supervisor is pulling stuff out of their bottom to me.

So I'm stuck - unable to access a primary mailbox, or what was my primary account. CSR says she will escalate to IT who will get back to me in 5 days.

I am a bit annoyed. Anyone know what is *actually* going on?

30 REPLIES 30

Hello ChrisNoble. 

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your email account 
I can look into this for you. 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Thank you Graham, I have.

Will report back if we get it sorted. Thanks for your help.

Hello Chris. 

If I am being honest, I don't know how or why this issue occurred at all. Its a very strange one from here. 

The only thing I can pin it down to is the upgrade for our online accounts stopped a simple password change from your side. 

Main thing is its all sorted now.

Sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused you.

Gareth_L

Hello Graham

we have same issue on our secondary accounts. Can you help please.

Hello Gareth_L

We have same issue on our secondary accounts. Can you help please.

wink
On our wavelength

Me too.  Secondary account has been locked and I can't find any way to reset its password.  Help appreciated please.

ALF28
Super solver

ntlworld.com email - mine is still working up to now 15/6/2022

My ntlworld.com primary email is still working normally today, and it would be unlikely that virgin media  would remove a primary account or dissable one. without good reason, such as if it had not been used for 90 days or if it was compromised in some way.

Also my secondary emails virginmedia.com  are working normaly today.

Surely if there was a change to any virgin email  it should be announced or communicated prior to any de-activation of an emails.

The passwords are no longer restricted to 10 digits and can be upto 64 digits.

There have been some changes regarding setting up new emails and changing secondary email passwords, you have to know the old password to change to a new one when managing other accounts, so wise to keep a writen record rather than rely on memory and if the secondary account owner changes the password that might complicate matters. Creating a new email account seem  now to involve getting sent an invite which is new, but it also says no new emails except for exising accounts.

Can someone please confirm if the ntlworld.com emails are to continue or are they being phased out, which is implied by the recent cutomer services responses and problems  with older emails such as blueyonder.com and virgin.net.

Also the secondary emails have had the alternative  contact address removed which is still available for primary email accounts which is less secure for pasword recovery, so a lot of suttle changes going on behind the scenes.

alf28

wink

visit my other post...

my issue after a lot of titting around is now resolved... but it has wasted a lot of time through misleading info on this forum.

resove was achieved via webchat / whats app to VM... and a lot of patients.

No, I appreciate the help, all sorted now. Thanks to the intervention of the forum staff. 

I have decided to migrate  email away from Virgin, however - it’s feeling a bit flaky.  

after 20 odd years of being with VM and NTL I will prob do same at end of contract. got about 12 months left on contract so have time to migrate 20 years of email contacts to another more stable platform