cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer support just told me 'all ntlworld accounts have been disabled' - can't get into my mail etc

ChrisNoble
Up to speed

So this a very aggravating one - yesterday at about 11am, my primary e-mail account (an ntlworld account) started failing - incorrect password. Happened on phone and desktop  - so presumably a server issue

Tried to log into 'My Virgin Media' - wrong password.

Since I use my own domain with a forwarder, I redirected the address to another e-mail address and got it to send a password reset:

Oops, we've ran into a problem.
Wait a minute and try again. If this doesn't work, please come back later. (Code: DEF01)

Phoned up Virgin this morning.

1. Apparently this account wasn't listed as my primary account - a (what I am sure was) an secondary account was now primary. Logged into the primary account on My Virginmedia successfully

2. Couldn't see a way to change the password on secondary accounts - going to 'Account Details > Manage other My Virgin Media accounts - lists the accounts (including the what-I-thought-was-primary ntlworld account) - but only with a 'delete' option - no edit options.

3. Customer service says that they will reset the password on the NTLworld account from their end. Comes back and says they can't do it and neither will have I "I've just been told that all NTLWorld accounts have been disabled and you would have been sent an e-mail to say they were being disabled."

1. Obviously I received no such e-mail
  2. Other NTLWorld accounts are still working fine.
  3. CSR cannot say when such an e-mail would have been sent

Sounds like a supervisor is pulling stuff out of their bottom to me.

So I'm stuck - unable to access a primary mailbox, or what was my primary account. CSR says she will escalate to IT who will get back to me in 5 days.

I am a bit annoyed. Anyone know what is *actually* going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisNoble wrote:

I am not a Virgin Media employee but, for what it's worth, here is my take onthis

Tthe only official announcement I have seen recently from Virgin Media recently regarding changes to their email service is the introduction section to this help sheet https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/manage-email-account 

That says: "Please note, Virgin Media no longer offers the ability for customers to create new Virgin Media email addresses. Customers with an existing Virgin Media email address will not be affected; their mail account will remain as is."

"Couldn't see a way to change the password on secondary accounts"

VM now seems to want all resets to secondary accounts to be made via this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password Ignore the instruction to enter your "My Virgin Media Account" address and simply enter the address of the email account you want to reset and then follow the prompts.

"Customer services says..........................."I've just been told that all NTLWorld accounts have been disabled and you would have been sent an e-mail to say they were being disabled.""

All I can say is that my Ntlworld addresses are still active and that like you I have not received any email from VM to suggest that's about to happen.

VM do disable / delete email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account but from what you have posted that does not seem to be applicable in your case.

"Sounds like a supervisor is pulling stuff out of their bottom to me."

That is one way of putting it. I would just say that you were fobbed off big time.

That's my take on it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

RikEd
Tuning in

Same has happened to my daughters account (a sub account) over the last 48 hours. the only option I get on any sub account is delete

Sololobo
Superstar

@ChrisNoble wrote:

3. Customer service says that they will reset the password on the NTLworld account from their end. Comes back and says they can't do it and neither will have I "I've just been told that all NTLWorld accounts have been disabled and you would have been sent an e-mail to say they were being disabled."

There is a potential answer to this question in a reply in a different thread elsewhere on the forum.

Any email accounts linked to any active broadband connection will be safe from deletion. 

There are no changes to any of our legacy email address extensions. The only accounts we are disabling are those not registered to an active broadband account. Source: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/virgin-net-email-problems/td-p/4887196/page/2  Post #18

As has become more and more obvious over the last few months, the VM email service has become more unstable, unreliable, and unfit for purpose. Set up and migrate to a non ISP provided email service as a matter of urgency.

And I very much doubt anybody but those at the top of VM have any real idea about what's going on.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisNoble wrote:

I am not a Virgin Media employee but, for what it's worth, here is my take onthis

Tthe only official announcement I have seen recently from Virgin Media recently regarding changes to their email service is the introduction section to this help sheet https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/manage-email-account 

That says: "Please note, Virgin Media no longer offers the ability for customers to create new Virgin Media email addresses. Customers with an existing Virgin Media email address will not be affected; their mail account will remain as is."

"Couldn't see a way to change the password on secondary accounts"

VM now seems to want all resets to secondary accounts to be made via this link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password Ignore the instruction to enter your "My Virgin Media Account" address and simply enter the address of the email account you want to reset and then follow the prompts.

"Customer services says..........................."I've just been told that all NTLWorld accounts have been disabled and you would have been sent an e-mail to say they were being disabled.""

All I can say is that my Ntlworld addresses are still active and that like you I have not received any email from VM to suggest that's about to happen.

VM do disable / delete email accounts that are no longer linked to a live VM broadband account but from what you have posted that does not seem to be applicable in your case.

"Sounds like a supervisor is pulling stuff out of their bottom to me."

That is one way of putting it. I would just say that you were fobbed off big time.

That's my take on it.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Secondary account passwords can also be changed via the My Virgin Media account for the secondary account.  Sign in with the secondary email address and current password.

The Primary account holder can no longer change secondary account passwords unless they know the current password.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Thanks Graham - I would if I could, but the password is failing - which is why I want to change the password 🙂

> Virgin Media no longer offers the ability for customers to create new Virgin Media email addresses.

Wow - that's pretty massive. Thanks for pointing that out,

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisNoble  Is the Forgotten password route outlined in message 4 also failing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

It is, sadly. That's the route that returns:

ChrisNoble_0-1655130512361.png

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ChrisNoble  Ok, I have escalated this to the Forum Team so it should go into their priority queue.  You should get a reply here either later today or tomorrow.