cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create New Accounts

torchomatic
Dialled in

Can we no longer create new email sub accounts?  i wanted to create an account just to sign up to a particular mailing list as I don't want to use my main Virgin one.  I went into my account and clicked create account, added a new email address, yet it then said it had sent an invite!  If another person happens to have this address, will they be able to access my account now?

Has new email creation been stopped?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes, email creation has been stopped. It's not possible for any customer to create a new Virgin Media email address

Any existing address will continue to work.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes, email creation has been stopped. It's not possible for any customer to create a new Virgin Media email address

Any existing address will continue to work.

Really?  That's a bit rubbish.  Why did that stop then?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No official reason, but Virgin Media aren't the only ones to stop offering new email addresses to customers recently, so it's not really something UK ISPs offer these days across the board.

@torchomatic wrote:

Really?  That's a bit rubbish.  Why did that stop then?

Well if I had to hazard a guess, it would be that in the medium to long term VM would be looking at getting rid of any email provision at all. Stopping the creating of new email addresses would be good first start to this.

I should say that BT have done exactly the same thing.

An ISP supplied email is no longer seen as a 'hook' to get people to sign up as it once was, and an expected part of an internet connection. Many people will be using a free Gmail or Outlook address - running an email service is expensive and a proverbial PITA to support. Can't really blame them for wanting to slowly wind it down.

Thanks.  I also presume it isn't possible to change the password on a subaccount?  I'm trying to add it to my phone and I'm positive the password is right, but I can't log in.  There no longer seems any way to be able to change the password in my account.  The only option I have is to delete it!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@torchomatic wrote:

Thanks.  I also presume it isn't possible to change the password on a subaccount?  I'm trying to add it to my phone and I'm positive the password is right, but I can't log in.  There no longer seems any way to be able to change the password in my account.  The only option I have is to delete it!

It is still possible to change the password for a secondary account but the process for doing so has changed.

Each secondary account has its own My Virgin Media account so sign into the MVM account with the email address concerned and the current password.  

Login to My Virgin Media | Virgin Media  When signed in go to Update settings then Account Details where you will see a page to update the password and if necessary the password recovery question

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham, did that and changed the password successfully.  However, now I get an error saying mailbox isn't available and is locked. Tried changing password again, but no joy. Which is ironic as there's certainly no joy is trying to get anything sorted with Virgin. Thanks again.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@torchomatic It can sometimes take up to an hour for a mailbox to unlock after a password change.  VM also recommend that the new password is one that you have never used for the account before.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Good evening torchomatic,

Can I just ask if you have been able to get access to the account since your last post?

Gareth_L