cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not access my email yesterday

WelshGasman
Superfast

How is this for logic? 😞

Yesterday morning I could get my ntlworld email. Outlook kept coming up with the password prompt.
So I thought I would log in with the web interface for now, until they sort out the problem. I knew my userid and password were fine, as I had been receiving mail without any issues up until then, and server problems happen now and again.

So I login to my virgin account and try and access my mail there, only to be told that there is a problem with my account and to try an hour later.

Ok, so now I call Virgin to find out how long the problem is going to be, only to find that my email account is actually locked. I ask the support person as to why, but he says he does not know, normally there are notes on the account if it is locked, but nothing on mine.

Not a problem he says, I can unlock it and set a temporary password, which he does. I test it in Outlook and now I can get my mail, so thank him and hang up.

Then at 4pm I get the following email on my ntlworld account.

Your Virgin Media Account number: 25 - 999999999
Our reference: VMIS158-SUSPICIOUS_ACTIVITY-F009357660

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

Dear Mr Steel,

You have received this email as one or more of your Virgin Media mailboxes has recently been locked due to suspicious activity being detected.

ROFL 🙂 

Edit: I now see there is a sticky that actually confirms this.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Forum software automatically sends a reminder notice 7 days after a post has been replied to.  These will be the emails that Welshgasman is referring to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi WelshGasman.

Thank you for your post.

I'm very sorry to hear that you were locked out of your email account and have been advised that malware has been detected on one of your devices. We appreciate this must be concerning.

It sounds like at the time of your call to us, there weren't any notes regarding the malware or why your email account had been locked. These notes would have been added to the account once the warning email had been sent out to you. If we detect a virus or malware on one of our customers devices, we would then lock their email accounts as a security measure. 

More information about these malware alerts can be found here

Kind regards

Beth

Beth

Well I only have two devices with my email account on them. this laptop and my phone.

I have scanned both with nothing found?

I see others have had the same problem?, could it be an overzealous scanner giving false positives?

It would be helpful even if there was a infection, to advise the user as to which device.? I am sure you can detect that in some way?

However all that cannot be done by email until the account is unlocked, which other than the complete absurdity of that logic, would be very funny.

Had an email this morning, to say a reply had been made to this thread, but I cannot see any.?
Is it possible to delete posts?

Same thing has happened again today, coincidentally around the same time?

Contacted support and my account was disabled this time, no notes as to why, but not locked this time.?, so she just enabled it. 🙄

Thanks for coming back to us @WelshGasman.

I'm not sure why you would have received emails from the forums to say there had been a response and I can see that no post have been deleted from this thread.

Are you back in your mailbox as normal now?

Regards,

Steven_L

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Forum software automatically sends a reminder notice 7 days after a post has been replied to.  These will be the emails that Welshgasman is referring to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks