Menu
ianclark
Tuning in
Message 21 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuous Password Prompt on Outlook

same here cant send emails Blueyonder address, all settings are correct as posted here .. Receiving emails fine 

<rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
2019.06.11 05:17:11 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Retrying authorization
2019.06.11 05:17:18 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): Disconnected from host
2019.06.11 05:17:18 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): End execution

Important information about My Virgin Media

click on blueyonder returns THIS SITE CANOT BE REACHED

Superuser
Superuser
Message 22 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@ianclark wrote:

click on blueyonder returns THIS SITE CANOT BE REACHED

With reference to the Holding page.  Ignore the other options and click on the virginmedia link instead.  It will allow you to log in no matter what domain your email ends in.  I'm a blueyonder customer myself and can confirm that the virginmedia link allows you to view your blueyonder mail..  I've asked Virgin Media to take a look at the holding page as there is no need to have four separate links any longer, and in fact there's no reason for the holding page to come up if email is unaffected and you are clicking the email link.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I will second what @ravenstar says up above, the holding page does seem to be a legacy hold-over, my main email is an old @ntlworld.com and that can successfully be accessed from the virginmedia link, (or just go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com).

It would appear that this is not actually an email problem as such, the front-end web server and client access servers all seem to be up as indeed do the back-end mailbox servers themselves so mail is flowing into and out of the system. The fault would appear to be the back-end authentication mechanism which is responsible for checking that the username and password your email clients is sending is valid, that you are authorised to firstly access the mailbox and secondly (and this appears to be where it's all failing over for some users), that you are allowed to SEND email using the VM servers.

I'm not party to how the back end of VM's email system is configured, it is a little strange how it can authenticate webmail logins, and not everyone is having difficulties sending and receiving from mail clients (my phone and laptop are working perfectly well, inbound is using imap.ntlworld.com and outbound is smtp.ntlworld,com over SSL), so this can only be a bit of speculation but the only time i have encountered something similar was during an account migration from one platform to another and it all went a little bit (well quite badly really) wrong. I wonder if they were doing a bit of platform/account consolidation and it didn't go quite as expected?

Some more information from VM would be handy but, I suppose, that email provision, isn't really their core function (indeed I keep expecting VM to announce one day that they will be doing away with email entirely), so I guess we'll just have show a little more patience. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@jem101 

My thoughts exactly, however it's always fun to have a look at how email systems are set up.  I use mail in a box for my own domain.  So while I can't say how Virgin Media's system works in entirety let me give you a rough idea of the different servers involved in my system.

For IMAP and POP3 mail in a box uses Dovecot

For SMTP mail in a box uses Postfix to send and receive mail.

Virgin Media will no doubt have something similar, in fact in terms of client access, email access is managed through a mail Gateway in Knowsley, but the POP and IMAP servers are actually on the main mail platform in Utrecht, which also has it's own SMTP servers which webmail uses, but email clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird actually use a cluster of around 32 SMTP servers in the UK to send mail.  Finding the IP addresses of these servers isn't hard once you drill down into the Virgin Media's SPF record, after all that's what SPF was intended for - to identify the servers that are authorised to send mail for a particular domain.

From a personal point of view I can see how the backends might get out of sync if some of the links between the two fail, but as you've also pointed out, why only some accounts and not others?

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I too, have my own domain, I'm really going to have to sort out my email provision through it aren't are?  I'm the world's worse for telling people to not rely on the ISP's email because of $reasons, but never actually got around to doing it for myself.

Anyhow, if I recall correctly, years ago, during the NTL and Telewest merger, wasn't there some issue regarding the two platforms backend systems being incompatible and there was talk of a number of kludges being put in place to get them all talking to each other? Can't help thinking that there's a bit of migration going on and something has just fallen flat on its face. I wonder if user accounts are being maintained on different platforms and one or more have either decided to not talk to the others or was being moved and decided not to play ball?

Never have any of these problems with Exchange clusters - he says hopefully while running up some Powershell commands to check things! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 26 of 36
Flag for a moderator

All the emails are actually handled in one place.  They were formally hosted on Google's Gmail system as Apps for ISP accounts, then Google ended that service (not before making some changes that caused no amount of headaches for customers), Which is when the migration was made to it's current home - effectively being taken back in house  (although the mail servers are run by Ziggo - Ziggo is part of the Liberty Global group).  Each of the domains was migrated separately in order to ensure the move was made smoothly, although they did end up pausing at one point.

The Superusers were given a little advanced warning when each domain transfer started.  Merging the backends may have been problematic originally, but one would hope that by the time NTL/Telewest rebranded as Virgin Media that those issues were long past.

Tim

0 Kudos
otronics
Joining in
Message 27 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re/ this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/POP-IMAP-Email-Access/td-p/4004089

Some of my addresses are now working, others are still not sending email.

Receiving is OK.

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hello otronics, 

Thanks for letting us know, sorry you don't have full functionality back as of yet. 

Can I just ask, is this an old blueyonder account or NTL account you're having trouble with? Or one of the more recent email addresses?

Please let me know and we can continue to investigate. 

Many thanks,

Dan_M
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Blackthorn1
Dialled in
Message 29 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I can't receive anything onto my imac yet neither and mine is a blueyonder account. Smiley Sad
jrussell
Tuning in
Message 30 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@Dan_M

I’d appreciate if you could look at the problem from my perspective as this thread was initiated by me Smiley Happy

My account is an NTL account.

Thanks